Call for Board of Directors Members, Images Festival
Images Festival is seeking new members for our Board of Directors!
North America’s largest exhibitor of independent and experimental moving image culture is currently seeking applicants to join our Board of Directors.
Images Festival is a leading presenter of independent film and media culture in dialogue with contemporary art. We are an artist-driven festival that expands traditional definitions and understandings of media art by experimenting with a multiplicity of artistic forms. We aspire to elevate conversations between artists, scholars, and the public about the politics of the moving image.
Images collaborates with a diverse range of organizations, locally, across Canada and abroad, and we prioritize building relationships with organizations and communities that respect our values and share our vision.
Board Position Summary:
This volunteer position will work in a collaborative environment to provide oversight and direction to the Images Festival’s staff. Board members work together with other members of the Board and Images Festival’s Executive Director to oversee the strategic direction of the organization. The Board is made up of artists, arts administrators, and other professionals who contribute experience in fundraising, financial management, human resources, administration, and technical expertise to our successful operation.
Images Festival’s Board currently consists of eight members who meet regularly and have been recruited based on their skillset, experience, and connections within the artistic community. The board drives Images’ three-year Strategic Plan cycle, and is guided by the organization’s history, incorporation papers, by-laws, committee guidelines, staff structure, and consensus building. In addition, Images’ Governance Handbook, Equity Policy, and Personnel Policy stipulate roles and responsibilities, internal processes, conflicts of interests, personnel policies, and decision-making principles.
- Guidance and oversight to advance Images’ mission and strategic plan
- Monthly meetings at the Images Festival office (approx. 2-3 hours)
- Quarterly review of financial statements from Executive Director
- Annual Board Retreat (approx. 8 hours per year)
- Option to serve on one or more committees (Fundraising, HR, Governance)
- Hiring Images Festival Executive staff (as needed)
- Contributing to Images Festival Board of Directors development
Expertise / Interest Images is Seeking:
- Governing artist-run centres and/or not-for-profit charitable organizations
- Artistic Planning, Practice, and/or Programming
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Governance and Planning
- Fundraising, Development, and/or Grass-Roots Organizing
- Human Resources and Legal
- Communications and Public Relations
What to Submit:
- A 75-100 word bio outlining your relevant experience
- A brief statement of interest that describes your relevant experience and what you expect to get out of the experience (maximum 1 page).
- A resumé/curriculum vitae
Where to Submit:
Board of Directors
Address: 309-401 Richmond Street, Toronto Ontario M5V 3A8 Canada
Email: email@example.com (*PDF files only)
Phone: 1 416 971 8405
If you have any questions, need assistance with your application, or have an accommodation request, please come see us, email us, or give us a call.
Images is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We employ personnel without regard to age, class, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, geography, indigeneity, physical or mental ability, financial ability, race, religion, sexuality, sexual orientation, and statehood. We strongly encourage women, queer, trans and non-binary persons, racialized peoples, indigenous peoples and people living with disabilities to apply and share opportunities with their networks.
Images is one of the most enduring and respected platforms in the world for the exhibition and discourse of independent film and media art. Created in 1987 as an alternative to the only other Toronto film festival at the time, Images has spent the last 32 years presenting media works that are challenging in their form and content. Images showcases the intersection of emerging and established practices and invites open critical dialogue in the film and media arts community around the political herstories of moving image production, distribution, exhibition, and representation. The festival includes screenings, exhibitions, performances, events, and educational initiatives, and is attended annually by more than 30,000 people. For more information about our organization, please visit our website at: www.imagesfestival.com