Call for Applications: 2023 Winter Island Artist-In-Residence Program
Calling all artists, creatives and makers: Artscape Gibraltar Point is seeking project proposals for the 2023 Winter Island Artist-In-Residence program!
Now in its eighth year, Winter Island is a unique, juried artist-in-residence program aimed at emerging, mid-career and established artists hosted at Artscape Gibraltar Point, an artist residency located on the picturesque Toronto Islands for artists focused on community-engaged art. The program offers options for two weeks or a month-long residency.
Winter Island recognizes six artists annually who have demonstrated a strong and unique artistic voice and provides them with distraction-free studio time and accommodation to create and/or develop a new and exciting work that engages and activates the artist community at Artscape Gibraltar Point and the Toronto Islands.
Selected artists will have the opportunity to present these projects to the public as a part of a Winter Island showcase to take place at the conclusion of the residency series at Artscape Gibraltar Point.
Based on the success of last year’s “Resurgence” event co-produced with artist Miranda Black, Artscape Gibraltar Point are happy to announce a special Curatorial Artist-In-Residence. The selected artist will work with the Artscape team to curate and animate the showcase by working with the Winter Island artists to display their work and create a day of celebration and the beginning of spring.
SELECTED ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE
- A complimentary stay at Artscape Gibraltar Point including a private studio and bedroom
- $130/wk artist fee
- Promotion of their residency and project via Artscape’s social media channels
- Opportunity to participate in the communal life of Artscape Gibraltar Point and engage with participants in our self-directed residency and long-term studio rental programs
- One month free-trial at Artscape Daniels Launchpad. Artists are able to utilize the 5 Creative Studios, Digital Media Lab, coworking space, and events/workshops
*Please note this award does not cover travel costs to and/or from Toronto Island*
Artists will be expected to produce the following:
- A community engagement piece that engages the wider public. This can include the island community and the wider city as well. This can be in-person, online, or in print. The artist is expected to support promoting their work.
- A visual piece or representation of the artists’ work to include in the Winter Island Residency Exhibition for one month. This is a group show that goes up in the hallway of Artscape Gibraltar Point and begins with an opening reception.
Selected artists contacted: December 19, 2022
Unsuccessful applicants contacted: December 23, 2022
Artist 1 (month): January 16 – February 13, 2023
Artist 2 (2 weeks): January 30 – February 13, 2023
Artist 3 (month): February 6 – March 6, 2023
Artist 4 (month): February 27 – March 27, 2023
Artist 5 (2 weeks): March 20 – April 3, 2023
Curatorial Artist 6 (month + 1 week): March 20 – April 24, 2023
Showcase: April 22, 2023
- Artists must include a CV and description of their work
- Artists must demonstrate how they will meet the Artist Expectations as outlined above
- Artists must demonstrate a plan to work in a semi-isolated residency environment
- Artists must be prepared to live in a communal environment. All artists that stay at Artscape Gibraltar are expected to do light cleaning and look after the space
- Artists who face barriers to participating in residencies will be prioritized. This may include but is not limited to: Indigenous, Black, Racialized, Disabled, Poor, Newcomer, Artist-Parents, Trans, and Queer artists.
- Artists must be living in Canada. Artists from the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) prioritized
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply using our form on Submittable. This will include a 300-word statement, a 200-word work plan, a CV, and examples of past work.
Should you require assistance with the application process, do not hesitate to contact Niklas Agarwal, Hub Manager, Artscape Gibraltar Point at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions are considered confidential.
Deadline for Submissions: December 11, 2022 at 11:59 PM. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.