Product Technician, PI Fine Art
PI Fine Art is proudly Canadian and celebrating over 44 years in business, serving the retail, commercial and hospitality industries. We are one of the largest vertically integrated art companies in North America, specializing in art, wallcovering, mirrors, and alternative wall décor.
We manage every step within the art development and supply chain process – from art consulting, publishing and manufacturing. We work directly with artists, owning the rights to tens of thousands of images, while offering a high degree of innovation and customization. We manufacture in-house, which allows us to offer accessible prices, shorter lead times and uncompromised quality. A state-of-the-art print department offers extensive printing options on traditional papers, alternative substrates, and vinyl wallcovering.
The Product Technician is a key member of the Art Team, in many ways the glue that brings together the conceptualization of ideas presented by clients and the realization of art and décor. This role will be the “bridge” between Product Development and Manufacturing teams, working to ensure design concepts can be manufactured consistently and within budget.
This role will be responsible for working with the Director of Product Development on projects from the initial brief through the product development cycle including design, research, prototype testing, and completed fabrication per client specifications. The primary responsibility of this role includes determining construction methods, researching new materials, fostering relationships with outside artists and new vendors as well as creating detailed drawings for assembly.
- Develop and create technical designs in 3D SolidWorks and AutoCAD software for dimensional products including custom requests, standard client programs and PI product lines.
- Create technical files required for communicating with manufacturing hardware (i.e., cut paths for CNC, 3D print files etc.).
- Value Engineer design concepts to effectively optimize their cost, functionality, and ease of manufacture/assembly.
- Keep abreast of current design trends and develop a thorough understanding of design/creation to help support our clients’ branding objectives.
Research and Fabrication
- Undertake relevant research and sourcing for new materials and fabrication techniques for 3D wall décor projects including codes and regulations as it pertains to the product under development
- Researches and works with vendors to understand capabilities and limitations of materials and products.
- Develops and maintains library of sample materials being sourced, maintaining accurate records of suppliers, alternative supplier options and supports positive supplier relationships.
- Negotiates with vendors on behalf of the company to achieve desired quality, price and timelines during the 3D wall décor prototyping stage.
- Communicate and collaborate with Sales, Design, Procurement and Production departments to get products to the finish line efficiently and accurately, supporting the timely delivery of projects in adherence with quality requirements.
- Discuss and solve complex problems with internal teams as well as sub-contractors, suppliers, and clients.
- Prepare fabrication drawings for quoting purposes as well as assembly and templates for installation.
- Review and ensure drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, and finishes. Testing, evaluating, modifying, and re-testing materials as needed.
- Occasionally work hands-on in co-ordination with production staff, as needed for the manufacturing and assembly of prototypes
- Verbal and Written Communication
- Ability to Work Independently, with Minimal Supervision
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, managing schedules and budget requirements
- Analytical Skills
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Fast Learner
- Accountability and Dependability
- Candidate must be naturally proactive with the ability to identify important tasks and prioritize them for completion without direction.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Mechanical Engineering Technician/Technologist diploma or equivalent training and working knowledge
- Expert level in AutoCAD 2D & 3D (preferably current version), Solidworks and Slingshot
- Intermediate level in Adobe Creative Suite is a requirement
- 3-5 years’ experience in Gallery or Interior Design Studio is an asset
- Experience with the following skills is also an asset: Picture framing, woodworking, metal, aluminum extrusions, die cast parts and assemblies
- Experience within a woodworking environment is considered an asset
- Intermediate level skill set in Excel and Word
- Good communication skills – written documentation & verbal
- Strong attention to detail, analytical problem solving and effective decision-making skills
- Driver’s licence is a requirement
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled
Please email applications to Fakihah Mailik at email@example.com
At PI Fine Art/PI Creative Art, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve.
If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
To keep our employees safe we have implemented a COVID-19 Policy, which includes remote work where possible, PPE and sanitization practices throughout our facility, in addition to a daily health questionnaire and temperature monitoring.