Call for Proposals: 2023 AGO X RBC Artist-in-Residence Program
Call for Proposals
2023 AGO X RBC Artist-in-Residence Program
Three digital residencies for early career artists available in 2023
Deadline for submissions: November 18, 2022, at 11:59 pm EST
The 2023 AGO X RBC Artist-in-Residence Program invites early career artists based in Canada to submit proposals for digital projects or experiences to be created over a three-month residency. Artists are asked to respond to the theme of humour. We invite artists to share with us what makes them and others laugh, and to consider if laughter is merely a physical response or something more? How, we might ask, do virtual communities express humour? Artists are encouraged to work with concepts or materials that offer surprising, absurdist or playful engagements and consider how humour might bring people closer together.
The AGO X RBC Artist-in-Residence Program provides resources, learning opportunities, platforms and mentorship for emerging artists, working in any field to realize a digital project. At the end of the three-month residency, each Artist in Residence will be invited to show their work publicly.
We welcome proposals from emerging artists and collectives who are interested in creating new artworks that combine artistic genres. Proposals should explain how and through what online platform(s) audiences can engage with the artwork. Artists are welcome to propose projects that include collaborations with employees from any department at the AGO, including but not limited to: Conservation, Collections, Curatorial, Education & Programming, Library & Archives, Food & Beverage and Visitor Experience.
Selected artists and collectives will receive the following:
- A one-time artist fee of $10,000 CDN (inclusive of travel, if applicable, and per diem), and an additional $3,000 CDN for materials production and presentation costs for the project. Projects should show a total budget of $13,000 CDN.
- Mentorship from AGO employees with applicable expertise
- Access to AGO platforms and audiences for a public presentation
- Use of the AGO Artist-in-Residence Studio (if applicable)
Who is eligible to apply:
- Artists, individuals, and/or artist collectives who self-identify as emerging artists and are in the early stages of their artistic career;
- Canadians, currently living in the country, or artists residing in Canada; and
- Practicing professional artists with two (2) or more years’ experience.
- Applicants from underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.
We welcome applications by populations who have not been equitably represented in museums, including Black, Indigenous, artists of colour, LGBTQ2+, women and persons with disabilities. Successful artists must be available to connect virtually with AGO staff for the duration of their three-month residency. The selected artists will be notified by January 3, 2023.
Learn more at AGO.ca/emerging-artists-program
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West
416 979 6648