Call for Board Members, Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS)
CALL FOR BOARD MEMBERS:
Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS)
Roles: (1) Treasurer, Board of Directors; (2) Member, Board of Directors
Location: Toronto, Canada
Start Date: June 1, 2021
Deadline: May 15, 2021
The Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS) is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to exploring and promoting the art of independent animation through production, screenings, workshops and exhibitions.
Founded in 1984, The Toronto Animated Image Society initially began as a group for animators and animation enthusiasts to connect and share in an art form they love.
Over 33 years, TAIS has evolved into an artist-run media arts production centre with a growing membership that supports animation production, presentation, and skills development.
As a non-profit organization supporting artists working with animation. We’re looking to expand our Board of Directors. The Board is the governing body TAIS. It oversees the organization and supports TAIS’ mandate and management in continuing to offer support for artists at all stages in their careers.
We are seeking up to three new Directors, including a Treasurer, equally excited about our mission and values. Members are elected on an annual basis, with the expectation that Directors commit to at least a one-year term.
At present, the Board meets monthly, typically in the evenings for two hours. Board members are also expected to attend the Annual General Meeting which usually takes place in the fall. Meetings currently take place online.
- Guidance and oversight to advance TAIS’ mission and strategic plan
- Monthly meetings at the TAIS office (currently online due to Covid-19)
- Quarterly review of financial statements
- Option to serve on one or more committees (eg. Fundraising, HR, Marketing)
- Hiring TAIS Executive staff (as needed)
- Contributing to TAIS Board of Directors development
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- prior charitable governance experience;
- expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- finance/accounting background (if interested in Treasurer position);
- charitable/foundation fundraising;
- communications/marketing/media relations;
- animation, art, community arts practice or placemaking;
- engaging diverse communities;
- a commitment to the mission of TAIS
- Exclusive support for the production and presentation of independent animation.
- Prioritization of diverse, intersectional, and progressive artistic and community-based interests
- Inclusive, financially accessible services, programs, and resources
- Reflecting an evolving, expanded definition of animation, while maintaining support for the traditions of the discipline
- Our Guiding Objectives
- Enable artistic and technical experimentation in animation production via research and creation, and skills development
- Provide access to specialized animation studios, available 24/7, at affordable rates, complete with well maintained professional production equipment
- Offer a Studio Production Support Program for low income individuals, students, and cultural workers to access studio space as drastically reduced rates.
- Coordinate community engagement projects and ongoing outreach via skills-building workshops delivered within Toronto, the GTA, and communities in Southeastern Ontario
- Offer a Community Access – Subsidy Program for low income individuals, students, and cultural workers to register in workshops at discounted rates
- Promote critical consideration of the animated arts through the presentation of curated projects and programmes
- Invite mid-career and established local, national, and international animation artists to lead workshops, present artist talks, and show their work to inspire animators at all stages of development
- Present animation by local, national and international artists with support of organizational partnerships to engage broader audiences and support public dissemination
We aim to maintain a diverse board and as such BIPOC and/or 2SLGBTQ+ candidates will be prioritized.
Please submit to Managing Director – Myfanwy Ashmore
(email@example.com) a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this opportunity and where you feel your skills would be most put to use.
If you have any questions, need assistance with your application, or have an accommodation request, please contact us.