Call for Board Members: Critical Mass Art, Port Hope
Submission Deadline: Friday, April 1, 2022 by 11:59 p.m.
Term Length: 3 years
Volunteer position: This is a volunteer position on a working board
Location: Port Hope, Ontario. Members outside Port Hope can attend meetings via zoom.
Call for Board Directors & Volunteer
Critical Mass: A Centre for Contemporary Art is a Port Hope-based not-for-profit arts organization. We are currently seeking up to four new members for our Board of Directors.
Critical Mass believes art changes how we see the world and our place in it. We bring contemporary art experiences to Port Hope so that everyone in our community can have that opportunity.
We are seeking people who also believe that art changes the world and want to bring that spirit to Port Hope. Our goal is to redefine Port Hope as a destination in Ontario for contemporary art. If you want to help us shape the vibrancy of our community, we want to hear from you.
Board Position Summary:
This volunteer position will work in a collaborative environment to provide oversight and direction to the Critical Mass staff. Board members work together with other members of the Board and Critical Mass staff and volunteers to oversee the strategic direction of the organization. The Board is made up of professionals who contribute experience in fundraising, financial management, human resources, communications, arts practice and administration, and legal and technical expertise to our successful operation.
The current Critical Mass Board currently consists of ten members who meet monthly and have been recruited based on their skillset, experience, and connections within the artistic community. The Board drives Critical Mass’ three-year Strategic Plan cycle, and is guided by the organization’s history, incorporation papers, by-laws, committee guidelines, and consensus building. In addition, our Governance & Policy document stipulates the organization’s roles and responsibilities, internal processes, conflicts of interests, personnel policies, and decision-making principles.
Primary Responsibilities for Board members:
- Guidance and oversight to advance Critical Mass’ mission and strategic plan
- Monthly meetings via Zoom or at the office when applicable (approx. 2 hours)
- Serve on one or more committees (eg, Fundraising, Communications, Governance, Curatorial) (approx. 2 hours/mth)
- Hiring Critical Mass staff (as needed)
- Contributing to Critical Mass Board of Directors development
- Review of financial statements as needed
Expertise Critical Mass is Seeking:
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Governance and Planning
- Financial Management (CPA), Fundraising and Development
- Human Resources or Lawyer (experience working with artists an asset)
- Marketing, Communications and Public Relations
- Governing artist-run centres and/or not-for-profit charitable organizations
- Artistic Planning, Practice, and/or Programming
- A working artist
- 75-100 word bio outlining your relevant experience
- Brief statement of interest that describes your experience and what you hope to get from the experience (maximum 1 page).
- Resumé/curriculum vitae
Where to Submit:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Board of Directors application
Submit by: Friday, April 1, 2022 by 11:59 p.m.
If you are not ready to commit to a board position, we also have additional opportunities to volunteer, to get involved with our organization, and get to know us.
We are seeking volunteers that bring a diverse range of lived, cultural and professional experiences and expertise to our organization. We are particularly keen to add new expertise in fundraising, marketing & communications, and those actively involved in the arts and culture sector.
We have immediate openings on the following committees:
- 10th Anniversary Planning
- Community & Special Events (e.g. Pumpkin Parade, Candlelight Festival)
- We are also receiving expressions of interest for our Curatorial committee.
For more information about available &/or future volunteer positions, please reach out.
Email inquiries to: email@example.com
For more information, contact:
Critical Mass: A Centre for Contemporary Art
Port Hope, ON