TOAF59: Call for Artist Collectives, Nonprofits & Artist-Run Galleries
59th Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
Call for Proposals: Artist Collectives, Nonprofits & Artist-Run Galleries
July 10-12, 2020 at Nathan Phillips Square
Accepting proposals until March 20, 2020
Be part of Canada’s leading contemporary outdoor art fair! Toronto Outdoor Art Fair invites visual arts and fine craft collectives, nonprofit galleries and artist-run centres from across Canada to submit proposals to exhibit and sell the works of their artist members.
Showcase and promote your mission and reach out to a new audience of 130,000 visitors in a limited number of community booths alongside over 360 individual artists during the 59th edition of the Fair.
Who is eligible?
- Artist Collectives
- Artist Run Centres and Galleries
- Visual Arts Nonprofits
- Visual Arts Guilds and Groups
Why participate in TOAF?
- Grow your network: TOAF is the best attended art fair in Canada, with 130,000 visitors and 360+ fellow juried artists and makers over one weekend. Engage with the public and meet face-to-face with fellow art-lovers & buyers, artists, and the arts community at large.
- Retain 100% of sales: Sales made at your Community Booth are yours. TOAF visitors spend over $2 million buying art over the weekend, with even more spent post-Fair.
- Don’t break the bank: We believe that arts organizations should have access to budget-friendly booth packages. As a charitable organization run by artists for artists, TOAF strives to be the most affordable art fair of this size and calibre in North America.
“Being a part of Toronto Outdoor Art Fair allowed Creative Works Studio members a chance to expand their awareness of who they are as artists as well as expose them to professional, working artists. Being in a large art show like TOAF also lets the public know about Creative Works Studio as a potential resource, and as a charity that they could support.”
– Bernadette Wycks, Creative Works Studio Lead, Good Shepherd Non-Profit Homes Toronto
What We Offer:
- On-site Presence: TOAF provides your tent, walls and grids in your dedicated booth space in our Community Booth Zone, logo recognition and location marker in our Fair Guide, and recognition on relevant on-site signage
- Ongoing professional support: Online profile and year-round exposure on our website, dedicated professional and dynamic staff to help you problem-solve from the application process to Fair time, Booth Camp (workshop session with industry experts) and an Artist Handbook (an outdoor art fair survival guide).
- Onsite resources & support: A team of 200 volunteers to assist you over the weekend and professional, secure onsite artwork storage (limited spots available and at additional cost), discounted rates on hotel accommodations, overnight parking and custom framing
- A successful & comprehensive marketing campaign: Benefit from our multi-platform national marketing and promotions, which garnered 69 million media impressions from 2019’s campaign. We also offer Artist Spotlights for promotion to our social media audience (19K+ followers).
- A vibrant community: TOAF is dedicated to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all of our artists and makers, with a focus on accessibility and special initiatives for artists in priority groups.
$2,500 for 10’ x 20’ space, $1,250 for 10’ x 10’ space
Fees are inclusive of full three days of TOAF59. There is no fee to submit a proposal.
How to Apply:
Proposals must include:
- Mission and mandate of your organization/group (max. 300 words)
- Statement of Intent/Curatorial Vision (addressing how this opportunity is a fit for your organization, how it will advance your mandate or benefit your members (max. 750 words)
- A booth image/visual representation of your proposed installation at the Fair
- Full names, website URLs and one image for each artist who intends to participate in your booth (6-11 artists). You may only include names of artist members who do not plan to apply as individual artists for the 59th Toronto Outdoor Art Fair. Please ensure each image is captioned with dimensions, medium and name of the artist.
- Organization’s main contact person, their name and contact information
Submit all materials as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 20, 2020 @ 11:59 PM EST. We look forward to receiving your proposals!
“2018 was the first time Scarborough Arts presented artists at TOAF. The event aligns with our strategic priority to increase the profile of our organization and the profile of our artists and members. These goals were achieved through the community booth program. We had hundreds of visitors, made important connections, introduced our artists to key Toronto cultural leaders, and were able to offer an accessible entry point for artists to sell their work and grow their audiences.”
– Monica Gutierrez, Development and Partnership Manager, Scarborough Arts
* Nathan Phillips Square is fully accessible. Artists who require accessibility support can be eligible for additional assistance through our Art Encounters program. Please contact us directly for more information.
Questions? Contact us.
About Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
Toronto Outdoor Art Fair is Canada’s leading and longest-running juried outdoor art fair, with a mandate to bring together artists and the public face-to-face in a radically welcoming and accessible environment to nurture the joy of engaging with art. Founded in 1961, Toronto Outdoor Art Fair was established to put contemporary visual artists and makers front and centre of their works, and to nurture artistic excellence and artists’ entrepreneurial spirit. This public event showcases works by over 360 contemporary visual artists and makers including painters,
photographers, sculptors, ceramic artists, textile artists, and jewellery makers, and attracts 130K visitors each year to Nathan Phillips Square.
The Toronto Outdoor Art Fair is a charitable nonprofit organization.