Request for Credentials: 160 Front St West Public Art Program, Toronto
REQUEST FOR CREDENTIALS
160 Front St West Public Art Program
Closing Date: March 2, 2020 5:00 PM EST
Public Art Management, on behalf of The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited, are excited to announce this Request for Credentials (RFC) to all professional artists as part of the 160 Front Street West office project in downtown Toronto, Canada.
We are inviting interested professional artists to submit their credentials for consideration as part of the first stage of a two-stage public art process to select candidates to be considered for this new Class A, 46-storey office development.
Located at the northeast corner of Front Street West and Simcoe Street, 160 Front Street West is being designed by the world-renowned Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture and B+H Architects. The project is currently under construction and scheduled for completion in the fall of 2022.
The total Public Art budget for the project is $350,000 CAD. The proposed art location will be located in the interior lobby of the office building. A free-standing or suspended sculptural installation will likely be commissioned for this project, the determination of which approach will be reviewed and determined once the RFC applications are received, reviewed and a finalist short list has been determined. A short list of four (4) artists will be chosen from the RFC applications.
The total Public Art Budget includes; artist design fees, administration, travel, engineering, supply, materials and fabrication, insurance, delivery, and installation and maintenance of artwork(s). The goal is to commission art that is iconic, impactful, durable, and requiring minimal maintenance.
Because this project is still in the early stages of construction, the final design of the interior of the building has yet to be finalized, therefore interior renderings and drawings are not yet available at this time. Once the finalist short list has been determined, these drawings will be provided to the finalist artists.
The submission deadline is: 5:00PM EST, March 2, 2020. We regret that only advancing artists will be contacted.
Public Art Management (PAM) will be managing this stage of the project on behalf of the Owner, The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited. Questions must be submitted in writing via email only at the address noted below.
Each candidate may be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Aesthetic evaluation: original thinker: strong, contemporary, innovative and original work
- A demonstrated strong sense of scale exhibited through past work coupled with an interest in and ability to create permanent, maintainable, sustainable artwork
- History of public exhibition in reputable public institutions, innovative artist-run spaces, and installation projects
- Confirmation of ability to work within a team environment, with a generosity of spirit and patience
- Proven track record and ability to complete projects on time and within budgets (either public art commissions or museum/gallery projects).
Professional standing by peer or art expert references will be a major consideration as well.
RFC Submission Requirements:
For this Stage, we are inviting artists to submit a single document in pdf format.
This document must be labeled with the name of the artist or artist team and must include:
- A current CV (or one for each member of the team, if applicable);
- Images of up to a maximum of ten (10) past projects/installations/artworks (up to a maximum of 3 images for each project, if necessary) noting the materials, location, commissioning body and project cost;
- The names and contact information of two references (preferably related to projects completed within the past 10 years)
Please do not submit concept proposals at this stage.
The deadline for this RFC is March 2, 2020 5:00PM EST.
All inquiries for this RFC must be sent via email to: email@example.com
Only emailed communications to this address will be accepted. No telephone inquiries are permitted. If the file size exceeds 25MB, email via a file transfer service (preferably Wetransfer or Google Drive).
On the subject line clearly mark: “160 Front St West Public Art Stage 1 and [name of the artist/artist team]”.
Artists are responsible for the timely submission of their entries. Incomplete submissions will be subject to disqualification. All submission materials will be retained by Public Art Management and The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited.
We thank all respondents for their submissions but regret that only advancing proponents will be contacted. Beyond formal notification to finalists, Public Art Management and/or The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited will not enter into any correspondence regarding the artist selection process nor the decision concerning advancing candidates.