Operations Manager, CAFKA
CAFKA – Contemporary Art Forum Kitchener + Area
Compensation: $27,456 – $36,400 Part-time, flexible. Salary commensurate with experience. (24 – 28hrs per week, to be determined in conversation with successful candidate)
Application Deadline: December 19, 2021
Expected Start Date: January 17 – 26, 2022
Celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2021, CAFKA – Contemporary Art Forum Kitchener + Area is an artist-run organization that produces a biennial exhibition of contemporary art projects in the public spaces of the Region of Waterloo. As Ontario’s longest-running public art forum, for 20 years CAFKA has supported a diverse spectrum of local, national and international artists in the presentation/ dissemination of over 270 ground-breaking, contemporary, interactive and interventionist public artworks through biennial programming, annual exhibitions and special projects. As a pillar within KW, CAFKA’s free biennial program in unexpected public spaces expands contemporary art experiences outside gallery environments and positions them as critical and integral parts of community life—accessible to everyone. Through the biennial, lectures, tours, workshops and related special projects, CAFKA develops opportunities for people in the community and beyond to learn about contemporary art, and engage in discourse around issues of public and private space.
CAFKA is currently looking for an Operations Manager to Join our team
Working closely with and reporting to the Director, the Operations Manager supports the operational and administrative management of CAFKA, including the implementation of strategic objectives and organizational initiatives, financial management, facilities, and marketing as well as engagement, development and fundraising.
Operations Management and Development:
- Works alongside the Director to fulfil mandate of CAFKA and act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Resource Management/ Office Management – Physical and virtual resource and information management, general inquiries, mail etc., contracted service providers (bookkeeper, auditor, etc.). Manage general operations of organization and biennial including maintenance, communication, financial transactions, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, remittances, and reporting (finance tracking, CADAC, Final reports, etc.)
- Prepares evaluation reports on biennial activities as required including impact and post-mortem.
- Prepares and assists with development of budgets, grants applications, etc.
- Takes lead on operational grant writing in collaboration with Director and BOD.
- Assistance in identifying, preparing and contributing to additional funding sources and collaborative opportunities such as grants, fundraising, sponsorships and partnerships as required.
- Prepares contracts and letters of agreement as directed and required
- Board of Directors –schedules meetings (email reminders, zoom links, room booking) prepares agendas, assists with recruiting, attends board meetings, prepares regular reports and memorandums to the board
Marketing and Engagement:
- Marketing/ Communication/ Outreach – participate in marketing committee meetings and help facilitate distribution of marketing materials, social media, email campaigns and website content
- Participate in development and implementation of digital and social media strategies to enhance the profile of the organization and audience engagement
- Updates website. Contributes to upcoming website migration with board, staff and contractors.
- Manage membership, community engagement and related outreach initiatives
- Assist with and support biennial programming and education initiatives as directed.
- Opportunity to tailor creative input and collaboration in conjunction with ED and programming committee if desired.
- A passion for contemporary art in public spaces. Familiarity with KW regional community
- 2 years experience in managing operations in a not-for-profit arts organization or equivalent administrative experience considered an asset
- Post-secondary education or relevant experience in arts administration, not-for-profit management, business administration or fundraising and development considered an asset
- Experience managing budgets, audits, payroll considered an asset
- Successful track record in securing grants and familiarity with CADAC considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Highly organized
- Commitment to centring anti-racism and anti-oppression in all aspects of work
- Ability to work creatively, think critically, and problem solve
- Experience in a Mac environment. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Zoom, Mailchimp, social media, Quickbooks and Drupal considered an asset.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively at all levels of operation in a fast-paced environment
- A team player dedicated to building a collegial and collaborative environment as well as continuously building respectful and trusting relationships with internal and external stakeholders and community members
- Hours are flexible and may vary depending on deadlines and in order to facilitate meetings and events. A flex block schedule will be in effect.
- Valid driver’s licence considered an asset
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and CV in a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject “[your name] Operations Manager Application” by December 19th, 2021. We would prefer to receive applications electronically. Should you require accommodation at any time throughout the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews are expected to take place in early January, 2022.
CAFKA is committed to anti-racism and anti-oppression. We invite individuals who reflect the diversity of our community to apply, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, people of colour, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of equity seeking communities. CAFKA is guided by an anti-racism action plan and engages in an accountability audit annually.
For more information, please visit our website