Job Opportunity: Marketing Manager, Toronto Biennial of Art (TBA)
JOB OPPORTUNITY: MARKETING MANAGER
TORONTO BIENNIAL OF ART (TBA)
The Toronto Biennial of Art (TBA) is a large-scale international contemporary art event available to everyone. For 10 weeks every two years, local and international Biennial artists transform the city and surrounding regions with artworks, talks, and performances that reflect local contexts and pressing issues of our time. The Biennial’s free, citywide programming aims to inspire people, bridge communities, and contribute to global conversations.
For detailed information on the impact of the first Biennial, please read the 2019 Evaluation Report.
TBA is committed to transparency and to principles of anti-racism, anti-oppression, equity, and inclusion and is putting these principles into practice at all levels of the organization. Please see TBA’s recent Statement of Accountability for more information.
Full time contract: February 2021-January 2022
Salary: $50,000-$60,000 annually
Application Deadline: January 4th, 2021
TBA is seeking a full-time Marketing Manager, who will be accountable for the planning and implementation of a comprehensive marketing strategy that includes the promotion of TBA’s exhibitions and programs; building local, national, and global brand recognition; and cultivating engagement amongst current and prospective TBA donors, supporters, partners, and the community at large. The Marketing Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with both the Communications Manager and the Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
Specifically, the Marketing Manager will create and drive innovative marketing initiatives that support and enable the execution of the Biennial’s overall fundraising strategy and program delivery, and will include marketing and educational collateral materials, social media, and website programming – as well as creative outreach mechanisms – to approach and engage with a wide spectrum of diverse communities. The Marketing Manager will play a critical role in supporting the ED and senior leadership team in strategic marketing decisions as TBA continues to build its presence, enhance its quality programming and build capacity.
This is a contract position from February 2021 to January 2022, with the possibility of an offer of extension by the Biennial. Reporting to the Executive Director and working in tandem with the Biennial’s Communications team, the Marketing Manager will often be required to collaborate and coordinate across departments within TBA, as well as cultivate relationships with external vendors and Creative Partners. The Marketing Manager is responsible for supporting the development and management of an updated marketing and promotions strategy during the complete Biennial cycle.
Tasks will include:
- Develop and implement an innovative, multi-faceted, integrated long-term marketing strategy, including an overall timeline and evaluation metrics that support the launch of TBA’s second Biennial, along with strategical building for our next biennial in 2023.
- Develop, budget, implement, and evaluate the annual marketing strategy across the Biennial’s audiences in collaboration with the TBA leadership team to support the Biennial’s 2021 launch and overall growth objectives.
- Establish and maintain new and existing marketing and advertising sponsorships and partnerships.
- Evaluate market research and develop marketing strategies to meet changing conditions and project goals.
Marketing Plan Execution
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and online collateral – including, but not limited to brochures, reports, advertising (out-of-home, broadcast, digital, print), wayfinding, etc. – on time and within budget.
- Track and measure the success of marketing initiatives and opportunities with a strong emphasis on data analysis and reporting, and provide strategic direction accordingly.
- Strategize and manage the use of mobile technology (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.) to access information about TBA’s programs and/or enhance the visitor experience.
- Support as needed, the upkeep and technological development of TBA’s digital platforms, including the website content management system and third-party servers.
- Working with the Communications Manager, establish and implement a unified marketing communications plan and brand standard to guide all internal, print, and digital communications
- Manage relationships with printing, distribution, and other outsourced marketing-related vendors and agencies
- Assist in stewarding the many in-kind sponsors and partners who support TBA and its campaign efforts
- Work with Board members who assist TBA with marketing and make sure their work provides value to the organization
- Provide strategic and tactical updates to Board of Directors as needed.
- Minimum of 4-5 years progressive experience in marketing or related role within an arts or culture organization, or equivalent experience
- Post-Secondary degree with a concentration in marketing, journalism or communications is an asset.
- Proven commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and practices of anti-racism and anti-oppression to contribute to a healthy workplace environment
- Solid track record working in a fast-paced environment, that is often deadline driven as the Biennial event approaches; willingness and availability to work flexible hours when required for special events including some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work collaboratively and to thrive in this environment, while managing and nurturing the many voices of the organization, as well as its audience
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with a team of graphic designers
- Experience in supporting the development and implementation of multi-faceted marketing plans
- Experience working as a proactive member of a cohesive team and independently; comfort and ability to work off-site and being self-motivated are assets, with a view to potentially prolonged Covid-19 social distancing measures
- Solid project management experience, and ability to coordinate a multi-step approval process for collaborative projects
- Superior organizational and resource management skills
- Professional experience with digital technology
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft suite, Adobe, Salesforce and presentation and design software (InDesign an asset)
- Interest in international and local contemporary art approaches and markets/ecosystems, supporting the development of new audience bases and partnerships
- Proficiency in French an asset
Toronto Biennial of Art is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all of our work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. We encourage those who identify as women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, individuals of non-conforming gender and sexual orientations, and all groups protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code to apply. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Toronto Biennial of Art.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing Manager Position.” Only selected applicants will be contacted for an interview.