Information Assistant, McMaster Museum of Art
The MMA is a public, university-affiliated art museum, one amongst 48 such institutions in Canada. The MMA houses one of the best collections in a university-affiliate in the country. The collection of approximately 7,000 objects, includes Indigenous, contemporary Canadian, and 15th- 20th Century European art. The collection is housed in a facility with museum standard environmental and security controls, 5 exhibition galleries, 5 on-site storage vaults and 11 full-time staff. The Museum hosts an on-going exhibition program, public/education programs and acquisitions program supported by a significant on-line and social media presence.
The MMA will positively disrupt the traditional museological narrative by creating more inclusive, dynamic, and experiential relationships between peoples and artistic practices.
The MMA is a meeting space for both the campus and the community situated within the traditional territories of the Mississauga and Haudenosaunee nations. The Museum engages, educates, and inspires through: Growing an awareness of the interconnectivity of the past, present and future; Advancing de-colonization; Engaging in innovative and imaginative research; Dismantling institutional and ideological boundaries; Partnering and collaborating with intentionality; Diversifying the collection; and Building capacity.
The Information Assistant is responsible for monitoring/guarding in the museum galleries.
Required Skills & Experience
- 2-year community college diploma in art, art history or a related field
- 6 months relevant experience
- The hours of the position are as follows: Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Fridays, 11 am – 5:15 pm; Thursdays, 11 am – 7:15 pm.
- Greet visitors, answer, or redirect routine inquiries in person, by telephone and via email.
- Process front desk sales including catalogues, tote bags and postcards.
- Provide art and art historical information to visitors.
- Conduct tours and workshops to visitors according to information developed by education staff.
- Ensure visitors do not photograph, touch, handle, or remove works of art or exhibits.
- Perform security checks at the beginning and end of shifts.
- Open and close Museum in accordance with proper security protocol.
It is an exciting time to join the MMA! If you feel you are the right person to join our team: in a time of transition, in a time of significant social and political action in the arts and socio-cultural communities; if you are dynamic, motivated and a team player, this job offers the opportunity to contribute to a transformation in the arts in Canada!
The McMaster University is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse faculty and staff. The University encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and LGBTQ-identified persons. Strong preference will be given to applicants who are First Nations, Métis, and Inuit persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection procedure, please contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247).
The Information Assistant is a UNIFOR Local 555 Grade 3 position at McMaster University and compensation adheres to the articles of the Collective Agreement which can be found on-line at McMaster University.
Please apply via McMaster University Online Job Portal.
Deadline for Applications: July 21, 2023
McMaster Museum of Art
1280 Main St W
Hamilton, ON L8S 4L6