Executive Director, Gallery TPW
Job Opportunity: Executive Director at Gallery TPW
Reports To: Board of Directors
Weekly Hours: 30 hours per week including occasional evenings and weekends as required
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Gallery TPW Board of Directors is seeking an Executive Director to lead the organization’s artistic and strategic vision, mandate, and goals through experienced, compassionate, and forward-thinking management.
The Executive Director is responsible for all matters pertaining to the organization’s operations including financial and strategic planning, staff management and human resources, fundraising and administration, and acts as the organization’s primary representative and advocate within the arts community and to internal and external stakeholders. This is a key role within Gallery TPW that oversees the sustainability, accountability, and compliance of organization-wide practices while ensuring a clear and forward-projecting vision for all programs and initiatives.
Gallery TPW is an anti-oppressive and anti-racist work environment that encourages collaboration and embeds care into everyday work practices. Leadership will actively seek opportunities for collective learning, experimentation, and horizontal relationship building in their work at Gallery TPW.
Duties and Responsibilities
Vision, Leadership and Strategic Planning:
- Articulates, communicates, and implements a clear vision for Gallery TPW, in consultation with the Board of Directors and staff, to ensure alignment of strategies and programs within Gallery TPW’s mandate, values, and charitable status
- Ensures working within anti-colonial care-focused frameworks and that equity, diversity, and inclusion are prioritized within all organizational practices
- Establishes key deliverables, resource requirements, and the development of policies and procedures across the organization
- Supports the development of exhibitions and programs including overseeing staff to ensure the effective and financially feasible implementation and promotion of an ambitious annual program and project management cycles for the organization
- Works strategically to expand Gallery TPW’s audience, public profile, and partner base, advocating for an artist-run culture internally and within the community
- Leads strategic planning processes and reviews and oversees compliance with strategic plans to ensure progress is made toward key objectives and that milestones are met
Fundraising and Development:
- Maintains the financial health and strategically grows Gallery TPW in consultation with the Board of Directors
- Is primarily responsible for donor relations including but not limited to donor cultivation and retention
- Responsible for sourcing, writing, and submitting operating and project grants that involves maintaining positive, close working relationships with arts councils and private funders
- While maintaining existing funding, actively seeks to secure new funding from the private and public sector by cultivating and fostering new relationships with a diversity of donors, granting agencies, and other supporters and stakeholders
- Leads and directs fundraising initiatives with the goal of increasing self-generated revenue including establishing annual fundraising targets (in consultation with the Board of Directors) and holding primary responsibility for organizing and overseeing annual fundraising events
- Works closely with programming staff to secure financially beneficial programming partners
- Manages and provides leadership to all permanent and contractual staff
- Oversees and makes strategic decisions regarding the organizational chart and overall staffing needs
- Takes primary responsibility for the hiring, management, evaluation, and professional development of all staff
- Creates and updates job descriptions
- Fosters a collaborative, accessible, diverse, and equitable work environment
- Ensures compliance with legal regulations regarding human resources, including AODA compliance
- Ensures an anti-colonial and care-focused approach to human resources and to leadership
- Holds primary responsibility for the financial health, management, and administration of Gallery TPW
- Leads and develops short and long-term financial strategic plans, budget models, priorities, and objectives for Gallery TPW
- Oversees and coordinates the processing of all financial transactions, in addition to receipting and cash flow tracking
- Manages, implements, and analyzes financial information, and monitors programming and other budgets
- Establishes annual budget, in consultation with the Treasurer
- Manages the bookkeeper and oversees annual audit
- Prepares and compiles reports for granting bodies and Board of Directors
Facilities and Space Management:
- Oversees all space-related matters, including but not limited to lease negotiations, leasehold improvements, and insurance policies
- Oversees all assets and makes upgrades as needed
- Directs and oversees overall Communications and Marketing strategies
- Ensures clear and transparent internal communication between staff, Board of Directors, Advisory Committee, membership, and stakeholders
- Acts as the primary spokesperson for the gallery with media, arts councils, granting agencies, professional associations and advocacy groups, among others
Salary: $70,000 per annum plus benefits, travel, and professional development stipend
Eligible applicants should send a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and experience (1 page), CV (max 3 pages), and three professional references in a single PDF to Board of Directors, email@example.com by October 23, 2023.
Gallery TPW is an anti-oppressive and anti-racist work environment and equal-opportunity employer committed to reflecting the communities we serve. We promote employment equity and strongly encourage applications from equity-seeking communities including racialized candidates, Indigenous peoples, 2SLGBTQIAP persons, and persons with disabilities.
If contacted for an interview, we will ask if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About Gallery TPW
Gallery TPW is a leading artist-run centre dedicated to exhibiting underrepresented artistic and curatorial practices that push the boundaries of lens-based work. Gallery TPW supports artistic practices based in photography, film, video, and time-based media. Since its founding in 1977, the Gallery has taken many forms, but currently focuses on exhibitions, performances, social events, and other community engaged practices which explore the role that images play in contemporary culture. Gallery TPW strives to be unique in our responsiveness to critical issues, our willingness to experiment and embrace change, and the support we provide to emerging artists and the larger art community.