Curator of Exhibitions & Programming, Art Gallery of Swift Current
Deadline: July 17th, 2021, 4:30 p.m. CST
Permanent, Full-time position
Art Gallery of Swift Current
Art Gallery of Swift Current is seeking a Curator of Exhibitions & Programming. Located on Treaty 4, traditional territory of the Cree, Saulteaux, Nakota, Lakota and Dakota peoples, and the homeland of the Métis people, the Art Gallery of Swift Current is a dynamic cultural hub, promoting the development and appreciation of contemporary Canadian art, with an emphasis on Saskatchewan and western Canadian artists. AGSC programming includes a diverse range of exhibitions, educational programming, artist led workshops, and seasonal classes; As well as artists talks and receptions when possible.
Reporting to and collaborating with the Gallery Director, The Curator of Exhibitions and Programming will…
- Curate exhibitions and assist in gallery installations.
- Create and/or edit original, published content and materials.
- Assist in development of multi-year exhibition schedule.
- Enhance local arts programming & community connections.
- Assist in development and implementation of public programming in collaboration with Operations and Programming co-ordinator.
- Assist with gallery events including public speaking at receptions.
- Assist with grant preparation and the reporting of operating grants as well as project-based grants.
- Conduct art interpretation tours and presentations for school and public groups.
In collaboration with the Registrar/Preparator the Curator of Exhibitions and Programming will…
- Maintain permanent collection object and files.
- Maintain as well as archive past exhibition files.
In collaboration with all gallery staff
- Assist with day-to-day operations including and not limited to: working with public, correspondence, registrations for programming, conducting art supply sales, taking membership payments, working with and training gallery volunteers, and maintaining/building partnerships with other city departments and community groups.
- Assist with development and maintenance of membership and member relations.
- Assist with development of fundraising initiatives.
- Minimum requirement of a Bachelor of Fine Arts. A master in Curation, Art History, Fine Arts would be an asset OR equivalent education and experience.
- Two or more years of experience in art galleries, museums and/or, artist run centre including proof of programming and curation.
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for Saskatchewan and Canadian artists and art practices.
- Ability to conceptualize, analyze, prioritize, and make decisions from research and conceptualization to project implementation.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, including grant writing.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in Fundraising
- Knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Comfort using social media platforms.
- Knowledge of physical handling of works of art in a diversity of media.
- Willingness to be flexible with work schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work collaboratively and foster a healthy work environment.
- Attention to detail, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Experience working with artists, interns, volunteers, donors, and the public.
- Experience in building sustainable relationships in community arts.
- Website and design experience.
- Experience working/living in a rural community.
- Knowledge of Adobe photoshop.
- Experience working with students.
- Familiar with CADAC.
- Experience in arts education.
Salary Range: $61,345.95 to $74,636.72
The City of Swift Current offers an attractive benefits package and pension plan.
- A letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae
- Support material (PDF catalogues, URL link to documentation of curatorial projects and/or reviews of projects)
- Two references
City of Swift Current Fax: (306)778-2194
P.O. Box 340 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Swift Current, SK
We wish to thank all candidates who apply,
however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.