Cultural Programmer, Drake Hotel Properties
CULTURAL PROGRAMMER – DRAKE HOTEL PROPERTIES
Drake Hotel Properties (DHP) has established creative placemaking for the communities we serve by proudly contributing to the Art + Culture maps of Toronto and PEC for nearly 20 years. From commissioned art installations and rotating shows to live music, performance art, festivals and multidisciplinary events, the Drake conceptualizes, develops, and executes programming in order to expand the minds and hearts of our employees, customers, neighbours, friends and partners. We currently seek a seasoned CULTURAL PROGRAMMER who will lead, develop and implement innovative art + cultural programs and partnerships in order to connect locals and curious global nomads visiting our properties, all while affirming the identity and core values of The Drake.
Guiding our multifaceted and ambitious programming agenda, the extraordinary taste and vision of our Cultural Programmer will support the ongoing development of our cultural initiatives across all our locations, platforms and stages. This is the perfect role for someone who brings demonstrable Art + Culture programming pedigree and leadership within a multi-disciplinary department that focuses on innovative cultural programming, curation, music programming and creative partnerships.
You are passionate about visual and performance-based arts programming and cultural movements within Toronto and beyond. You also have a keen interest in what is happening in Art + Culture globally. You have ample experience acting as a producer, curator, scout, and ongoing lead generator for programming initiatives that align with our vision and our revenue goals. You have a diverse skill set ranging from researching and developing creative programming and partnerships, to detailed organization and execution of all the behind the scenes elements of our events + programs, including event production, marketing via multiple social channels and fiscal oversight.
The successful candidate is passionate and committed to our Art + Cultural mandates, inclusive of:
- Connecting our guests + the public with boundary-pushing visual and performance based contemporary artists through diverse, thought-provoking, and engaging programming initiatives
- Sharing our belief that culture can be transformational, and to providing our stages for unheard, emerging and established artistic voices
- Fostering a sense of community and purpose for our guests, artistic collaborators, valued team members and neighbours
- Working to create welcoming environments that encourage the communities we serve to gather, engage and discover
The Drake is dedicated to celebrating and amplifying the voices of diverse artists and performers while encouraging dialogue, learning and inclusivity and to creating and supporting safe spaces for programming that include representation from women, the LGBTQ2+ community, and people of colour.
- Develop our cultural calendar mix with input from internal stakeholders, including our Visual Art Curator, Creative Director and Drake Underground Venue Operations Manager
- Will oversee the entire cultural programming budget ensuring expense management and revenue target attainment.
- Oversee Development of our performance and visual arts schedule with internal team, including diverse performance opportunities , multi media shows, live music, DJ’s, dance parties, visual art exhibits, alongside cultural partnerships and other related opportunities
- Oversee curation of our visual arts program alongside Drake Curator and Creative Director, support shows via programming and activations such openings and artist talks/events
- Maintain and develop relationships with artists, curators, gallerists, booking agents, record labels, concert and event promoters, event producers
- Build relationships with community partners to foster mutually beneficial opportunities and lasting relationships that make space for community initiated events and engagement
- Develop, execute and promote ‘out of the box’ programming ideas on an ongoing basis
- Generate leads for cultural programming events including readings, lecture series, fashion, cultural events and guest authors, particularly those that are related to the Drake’s core values of Youth + The Arts, Food Security, and LGBTQ2+
- Promote programming initiatives internally + externally and create new online content for the website and social media including @thedrakeart + @drakeunderground
- Work with the Marketing, Events, and Operations teams to execute the various Programming initiatives throughout Drake Hotel Properties
- Represent Drake Hotel Properties while attending exhibits, lectures, shows, concerts, cultural events, online and at other industry related functions
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Creative + strategic thinker with the ability to identify trends and apply them to the business
- Demonstrable dossier or catalogue of successfully produced and programmed multi-disciplinary events, festivals and parties
- Experience working with partners and sponsors, crafting mutually beneficial programs and opportunities, with demonstrated experience creating proposals, contracts, and pitch decks
- Experience building relationships with festivals, cultural events, and cultural/arts institutions
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Strong organizational, administrative skills and time management skills in a self-directed role
- Excited to dig in, roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty
- A team player and problem solver with a positive attitude and great work ethic, who can be accountable to stakeholders across departments and properties
- You will be expected to travel when needed to offsite events, meetings and our properties
- Some evening + weekend hours will be required attending events, maintaining social media content + engaging with artists.
The Drake is committed and actively working towards fostering a positive, welcoming, and safe environment that promotes equity and diversity for all guests and staff and building teams that reflect our community. We encourage candidates who identify as women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour); refugees, newcomers and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ2+ and gender non-binary persons, and persons with disabilities to apply for this exciting role. If you require accommodations at any point in the hiring process, please let us know. Please apply online by March 31st 2022 at: www.thedrake.ca/cultural-programmer/
ABOUT DRAKE HOTEL PROPERTIES (DHP)
Drake Hotel Properties is a growing Canadian hospitality brand focused on lifestyle hotels, food + drink and special events. We wholeheartedly believe that culture and community matter and are passionate about revitalizing character properties as inclusive hubs for unique and diverse experiences through art, culture and hospitality. The Drake Hotel (Toronto), Drake Devonshire Inn (Wellington, Prince Edward County), and Drake Motor Inn (Wellington, Prince Edward County) are each reflective of their respective neighbourhoods and invite guests to experience a special blend of bespoke hotel, classic general store, and vibrant local culture, while enjoying great seasonal menus, a robust cocktail list, carefully curated curiosities, and genuine hospitality excellence for all.