Community Arts Intern, Jumblies
Community Arts Intern
Date Posted: September 15, 2023
Application Deadline: October 5, 2023
Term: 10 weeks, plus a break for winter holidays
Anticipated Start Date: November 6, 2023
Work Location: The Ground Floor (126/132 Fort York Blvd.), with occasional other work sites relevant to Jumblies projects and activities.
Hours of Work: Average 20 hours per week, with flexibility of scheduling. Some evening and occasional weekend availability required.
Jumblies is a Toronto-based arts organization working locally and across Ontario and Canada on projects that bring together diverse professional artists and community members to make art with, for and about people, places, and urgent and compelling themes and stories.
The Community Arts Intern will work and learn with us in a supportive environment, with varied responsibilities assisting with our community programs at The Ground Floor Studio and elsewhere. This hands-on position aims to support emerging artists with an interest in exploring and developing their community-engaged arts practice.
Responsibilities will be adapted according to the professional and creative interests of the Intern, but will include:
- collaborating with our team of artists in planning, facilitating and evaluating multi-disciplinary arts workshops that engage community members of diverse cultural backgrounds and range of abilities;
- helping host workshops/activities (including the Gather Round Singers, arts drop-ins and other regular programs), welcoming community participants, orienting them to activities and supporting access needs;
- taking on creative roles for workshops, activities and events drawing on an existing art practice;
- assisting with logistics, set-up/strike of workshops and events, and general maintenance of The Ground Floor studio;
- attending company meetings and other relevant meetings and gatherings;
- maintain regular communications with supervisors/mentors/core staff;
- assist in community outreach and promotion including phoning, distributing flyers/posters, etc;
- assist in maintaining participant intake, tracking, documentation and evaluation systems;
- participating in “Jumblies Artfare” training workshops on a range of creative and professional topics.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Interest/experience in community-engaged arts and working with community participants of diverse backgrounds, ages and abilities is essential
- An emerging arts practice in any creative discipline;
- 2+ years experience in a field related to the arts and/or community engagement: this could be professional experience, post-secondary education/training, or other equivalent experience;
- Strong written and verbal skills in English, with other languages an asset;
- Strong computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media platforms, and proficiency with/high aptitude to learn other programs and applications;
- Comfort in a workplace with flexible schedules and changing worksites. Jumblies has a flexible and task-oriented working culture: during structured work times (ie. at events, activities, meetings) punctual and reliable attendance is required. For other tasks employees may be able/required to set their own work hours and locations, completing self-directed work according to deadlines agreed with supervisors.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Good time management, communication and organizational skills.
Jumblies welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may need accommodations, to apply to join our team. We are a caregiver, family and child friendly company.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Our office and studio are located at street level with step-free access, and are equipped with power-assisted doors and gender-inclusive, wheelchair-accessible bathrooms.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please email a cover letter and your resume as one document with the subject “Community Arts Intern” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also direct any questions concerning the posting or application process to the same address.
We appreciate and will acknowledge receipt of all applications, though we will only follow up with those who are short-listed.
Jumblies Theatre at The Ground Floor
132 Fort York Blvd.
Toronto, ON M5V 0E3