Community Arts Activator – Learning and Engagement, Two Rivers Gallery
Community Arts Activator – Learning and Engagement
Two Rivers Gallery, Prince George, BC
Job Description – Full-Time Position
Two Rivers Art Gallery is looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to work as part of a collaborative and community-focused public arts programming team. Reporting to the Director of Learning and Engagement, the Community Arts Activator plays a crucial role in connecting the public to experiential and educational learning opportunities at Two Rivers Gallery. Two Rivers Gallery plays a unique role in our region, creating new and exceptional opportunities to connect to the social and cultural potential of contemporary art.
Under the direction of the Director of Learning and Engagement, responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborating closely with the Learning and Engagement team to determine new programming possibilities within and beyond Two Rivers Gallery’s physical space
- Researching contemporary art to provide approachable ways to connect with new content relating to meaningful social engagement and public activation of art
- Developing inquiry-based lesson plans to lead participatory cultural engagement with programming through art and exploration
- Work with Learning and Engagement to create meaningful programs for a range of audiences from children, youth, adults and seniors to develop a deeper appreciation of art and culture
- Developing and coordinating public and educational programming, strategic partnerships and community outreach initiatives with local community groups
- Working as part of the gallery team – participate in staff meetings, training and engagement
- Represent the gallery at various community events, post-secondary open houses and teacher professional development conventions
- Teach and help facilitate tours and programming both in the gallery and additionally as part of public school outreach in elementary and high school classrooms
- Participate in the supervision of co-op students, spring/summer interns, and volunteers as required
- Maintain professional relationships and respond to queries from artists/community partners
- Working with the Director of Learning and Engagement to research and apply for grant opportunities
- Diploma or degree in art or technical fields or a combination of education and equivalent practical experience in education and public programming will be considered
- 2-4 years of experience working in the areas of learning and engagement through education or leadership
- An understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing, cultural studies and education is an asset
- Interest or experience with an inquiry-based approach to learning and engagement
- Curiosity for art history, participatory democracy, feminist practice, social activation, critical race theory and interactive approaches to community outreach and engagement that help art come alive for new audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, proven leadership ability with adults and children
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate and work closely with others as a key member of a supportive team in which all voices are acknowledged
- Deliver experiential and educational offerings to a diversity of audiences and skill levels
- Ability to successfully organize, prioritize and complete multiple planned and projects in development
- Draw on your lived experiences to expand the reach of our programs in the community
- Valid driver’s license an asset
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs occasionally
- Proficiency in common communication tools and digital platforms (MS Office, Google Suite, Zoom, etc.)
The salary range for this position will be $37,000 – $42,000.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2021
Please send a cover letter and resume to Derrick Chang, Director of Learning and Engagement at email@example.com with the subject line: Community Arts Activator.
Two Rivers Gallery extends a commitment to equity and recognizes that structural inequalities create significant barriers to equal opportunity employment. We strongly encourage applications from equity seeking communities, from individuals who are Gender Diverse, LGBTQ+, Two-Spirit, Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, and Persons with Disabilities.
We thank all interested applicants, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will begin August 11th and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Two Rivers Gallery
725 Canada Games Way
Prince George, BC, V2L 5T1