Community Art Coordinator, MacLaren Art Centre
Community Art Coordinator @ MacLaren Art Centre
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: Based on experience; Full benefit package
Application Deadline: March 20, 2022 (or until filled)
Start Date: May 9, 2022
The MacLaren Art Centre is a free public art gallery located in downtown Barrie, Ontario. With over 4,000 works of Canadian art in the permanent collection, and with the support of a keen volunteer team, the gallery serves an immediate community of 450,000 people across Simcoe County. We approach our work with a regional responsibility and an appreciation for the national sensibility; responding to issues that matter in our immediate community within the broader context of the provincial and national visual art and cultural framework. We offer a variety of historical and contemporary exhibitions that focus on visual art and visual culture by Canadian artists of national and regional significance. Our goal is to provide the community with an exciting range of art exhibitions, tours, lectures and art programs that inspire curiosity, creativity, and interest in the visual arts.
Working as part of a collaborative and community-focused curatorial, education, and public arts programming team, the Community Art Coordinator is responsible for the development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive, exhibition centered, and collection-based schedule of community art activities and outreach programs. The position builds meaningful relationships with diverse communities and organizations across the region, developing mutually beneficial community partnerships, while creating new and exceptional opportunities to connect to the social and cultural potential of contemporary and historical art. Targeting a wide range of audiences, the position plays a key role in the delivery of a community art program that makes space for diverse narratives in a way that values and empowers different worldviews and forms of knowledge. This position will make meaningful contributions to all aspects of the gallery’s life including artistic and strategic planning, budgeting, and team collaboration and acts as an ambassador for the MacLaren Art Centre at all levels of public engagement.
- University degree in Art Education, Visual Art, or equivalent combination of experience & education.
- Two years’ experience developing, coordinating and implementing community art programs, events and activities in a public art gallery environment.
- Curiosity for art history, contemporary art and art practices, participatory democracy, social activation, critical race theory and interactive approaches to community outreach and engagement in ways that bring art alive for new audiences.
- Demonstrated oral, written, presentation and reporting communication skills and capacities.
- Demonstrated project coordination, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Has a passion for the visual arts.
- Creative thinking and an innovative approach to work responsibilities.
- Proven ability to remain current on all job-related technologies and best practices.
- An energetic desire to work with colleagues, artists, volunteers, interns, and community members to create something extraordinary.
- Believes the visitor experience is paramount.
- Flexible and embraces change and diverse points of view.
- Adaptability, strong interpersonal skills, and a good sense of humour.
For the full job description visit: https://maclarenart.com/jobs/
Resumes and cover letters will be received via email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 p.m. March 20th, 2022. Subject line Community Art Coordinator.
The MacLaren Art Centre is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.