Call for Submissions: You Are Here
You Are Here – an upcoming exhibition at the John B. Aird Gallery, Toronto
Curated by Lisa Jefferies, Jordan Fee, Mary Wallace, and Joanna Wreakes
Where did you come from? How did you get here? What does your journey look like? Where are you growing?
You Are Here is a juried, call for submissions exhibition opening in March 2020 at the John B. Aird Gallery, and we encourage artists from all backgrounds to submit their work. The submission fee is $25; artists are permitted to submit up to three pieces. The idea behind You Are Here is to inspire contemporary artworks related to mapping of both physical space and emotional experience, resulting in an exhibition that is diverse, eye-opening, and inviting.
You Are Here is a collaboration with Master of Museum Studies students from the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Information. Additionally, this exhibition offers a unique opportunity for student artists to have their work seen by the public as the John B. Aird is one of the only galleries in Toronto that accepts students’ art (though all types of artists are welcome to submit!). Works for the exhibition will be selected in February 2020 by our curators – Mary Wallace, Jordan Fee, Lisa Jefferies, and Joanna Wreakes – along with guest juror Matthew Brower.
- Submissions in a range of media including fine, decorative and functional works of art and craft are encouraged.
- Artists are welcome to submit up to three works.
- Please do not submit works larger than 36″ x 36″ (92cm x 92cm).
- As a non-profit organization, the John B. Aird Gallery does not pay artist fees; however, we will facilitate the sales of any or all pieces submitted by artists. Please note that the Aird Gallery takes 30% commission of all works sold.
- Artworks must be delivered on February 29, 2020.
- The John B. Aird Gallery reserves the right to decline work that is deemed inappropriate under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Digital invitations to “You Are Here” will be available for promotion.
- Artists will be contacted if their artwork(s) are not sold, and we will announce a pickup date for artworks.
- The artist is responsible for covering the cost of shipping their works to and from the gallery.
January 31, 2020: Call for submissions closes.
February 29, 2020: Selected works must be shipped to the gallery on this date.
March 5, 2020: “You Are Here” opens at the John B. Aird Gallery; opening reception night.
Pick-up of unsold works: date to be confirmed.
About the John B. Aird Gallery
Location: 609 Queen St. W., Toronto, ON M6J 1G6
Director: Carla Garnet
Please visit the Aird’s website for more information.
Please note that the Aird Gallery is not accessible.