Call for Submissions: Student Public Art Mentorship with the Cortel Group & DEXD
The Cortel Group, together with DEXD is offering a paid, public art mentorship opportunity to students/recent graduates with an interest in gaining knowledge and experience in public art planning and commissioning, designing site specific public art, and the associated fabrication, coordination, and installation process. The student will be mentored by the artist team (Alan Tregebov & Joanne Heinen) and the public art consultant. The artwork will be installed in Fall 2023.
Submission Deadline: April 7, 2022, 5pm EST.
- Minimum of third year student in an arts or design program
- Capable, independent worker
- Experience with generating and implementing creative projects
- Creatives who live/work/or are from Vaughan are encouraged to apply
Mentorship Program Description:
- Option 1 – Propose a project idea that will document the public art process and the research and development of the public artwork. (for e.g. video, digital publication). Project can begin Spring 2022.
- Option 2 – Work with the artist (based in mid-town Toronto) on preparation of drawings, construction documents and maquettes for the artwork. This work is scheduled to take place May 2022 – August 2022. Interest/proficiency with building physical models and/or digital drawing & 3D modelling is an asset.
Duration: The duration of the mentorship is flexible depending on the project/ work undertaken. The mentorship stipend is based on approximately 300 hours. The mentoring scope/terms will be developed based on the selected mentee’s availability and area of focus.
Mentee Honorarium: $7,500.
- Current CV (max. 2 pages) including current educational institution
- Letter of interest: 500 – 750-word (max) letter describing your preferred mentorship option, your fit with the program, learning objectives, relevant/proposed timing information
- Three to seven images, MP3 files, or video links of relevant work, (if applicable), with accompanying list (include file names, title, description, medium/instrument, dimensions, date completed or performed, if applicable
- Two professional references, noting your connection to those references
How to apply: Submit a single PDF document containing the submission requirements via email, subject line ‘Public Art Mentorship Submission’, by the submission deadline to email@example.com Late submissions will not be accepted.
Contact: Karen Zwart Hielema, Creative Director, DEXD, firstname.lastname@example.org