Call for Submissions: Prequalified Artist Roster for Mural Art 2023-25, City of Victoria
CALL TO ARTISTS
The City of Victoria is located on the homelands of the Songhees and Esquimalt People.
The City of Victoria is launching a Call to Artists for mural artists.
City is looking to add new names to the roster of pre-qualified, artists who are available for mural opportunities from April 2023 through October 2025. We will be creating a publicly accessible online database of approved artists. Selected artist’s name, areas of interest and images of their work will be posted on the City website.
This roster provides a streamlined process for connecting artists with local businesses and organizations looking to enhance their spaces with mural projects. Opportunities could include private commissions by local businesses looking to animate their walls with artistic elements, working with a community association or school in need of an artist to coordinate a student mural project or City projects related to City owned buildings and infrastructure.
ESTIMATED PROJECT TIMELINE
November 16, 2022 at 5:30 p.m. – Online Information Session
December 5, 2022 at 4 p.m. – Deadline to Apply
April 2023 – Roster Work May Begin
This competition is open to muralists who are residents of Western Canada (Alberta and British Columbia). We encourage a diversity of applicants, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, socio-economic status, class, and religion.
The City of Victoria is located on the homelands of the Songhees and Esquimalt People. The City cannot guarantee any specific property, or a display duration for placement opportunities that may be offered to members of the roster. For your proposal images, please be sure that your content is suitable for public space and viewers of all ages and backgrounds and as such, must not include the following:
- Language or imagery that includes profanity, incites, or is motivated by hatred against any identifiable group*.
- Language or imagery that conveys or portrays drug and/or alcohol use
- Acronyms, explicit and/or encrypted signatures.
- Nudity or gratuitous violence.
* identifiable group means any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, or any similar factor.
Please supply a digital portfolio of up to ten images of your recent work (created within the last five years). These images will be reviewed by the Selection Panel. If you are added to the roster, these images will appear on the City website as your portfolio along with a link to your website. Please submit high resolution images but ensure that each individual file size does not exceed 5 MB.
Your images must meet the following requirements:
- Title your images in the following order (01_LASTNAME_firstname, 02_LASTNAME_firstname up to 10_LASTNAME_firstname).
- Projects were completed in the last five years (2017 – current).
- JPEG or PDF format.
- Use high resolution images, but ensure that each individual file is under 5 MB.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a link to your art-based website for more context.
Submissions are assessed based on the following criteria:
- Mural experience: Artist has previous experience creating murals. Technical expertise and experience with varying scale, complexity and materials will be taken into account.
- Collaboration and willingness to work with a team: Artist has previous experience coordinating or participating in a community-based mural. Experience incorporating input/direction from a team.
- Artwork that is strong in concept and execution: Creative vision, visual storytelling, and/or signature style.
- Appropriateness for the public realm: Artwork content must be suitable for the public.
Applicants will be chosen by a Selection Panel that includes artists, art professionals, community members, and a representative of the Art in Public Places Committee. The Selection Panel is facilitated by City staff, and the final decision is that of the Selection Panel. The Selection Panel reserves the right to select no applications. There is no guarantee that approved artists will be selected for a project during their term on the roster.
Complete the application form, and prepare your images as per below:
1. Application form which includes the following:
- Contact Information: name, pronoun preference (optional), address, phone, email, social media, professional artist website.
- Biography (100-word max).
- Areas of Interest (check all that apply).
- Preference for type of mural opportunity: small, medium or complex (check all that apply).
- Portfolio image documentation: including title, project description, thematic, material, location and year completed.
◦ One description for each image in your portfolio – up to 10 will be accepted.
2. Submission image files:
- Submissions must be submitted electronically through victoria.bonfirehub.ca.
◦ Please ensure your images are high resolution and that each individual file is under 5 MB in size. This will allow for quality viewing by the Selection Panel and better matchmaking with potential opportunities.
◦ Work must be no more than 5 years old.
- Please ensure your image files are titled correctly:
◦ Title your images in the following order (01_LASTNAME_firstname, 02_LASTNAME_firstname etc. up to 10_LASTNAME_firstname).
HOW TO APPLY
Expressions will be accepted until Monday, December 5, 2022 at 4 p.m. PST. All expressions of interest and accompanying documents must be submitted electronically at victoria.bonfirehub.ca. Expression hardcopies will NOT be accepted.
The Application Form can be found on the City’s Public Art Opportunities page.
Important Notes: Uploading large documents may take significant time, depending on the size of the file(s) and your internet connection speed. Allocate sufficient time for all uploads to complete prior to closing time. If you need any assistance with uploading images or requirements, please reach out to City staff.
The City will not be liable for any delay for any reason, including technological delays or issues by either party’s network. The City will not be liable for any damages associated with applications not received prior to the closing time.
ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION
Applicants are invited to learn more and ask questions at an online information session on Wednesday, November 16, at 5:30 p.m. PST. To register please visit victoria.ca/publicartopportunities
WE ARE LISTENING
Please tell us if you have ideas on how we can make our Artist Calls more accessible to you.
Please send feedback, questions or if you need support preparing your application contact:
Arts, Culture and Events Liaison