Call for Submissions: Hoarding Artwork for the Exterior of a Construction Site in Brampton
Call for Submissions – Hoarding Artwork
Digital Mural for the Exterior of a Construction Site in Brampton
The Daniels Corporation (Daniels) and Choice Properties REIT (Choice), invites artists or artist teams to submit proposals in consideration for a hoarding art installation to be displayed around the perimeter of a construction site in Brampton. The submission process may involve consulting with staff members from Daniels and Choice on the design of the work to arrive at a final concept.
There are three stages to the proposal process (outlined below).
For Daniels and Choice, each new home community we build is a work of art. From conception through to completion, our development projects are designed to enhance its surroundings, the community and to make a statement about its unique character.
The proposed art installation project includes a digitally rendered mural to be applied to construction hoarding located in the Mount Pleasant Village (“MPV”) community in Brampton. MPV is currently under construction, located on Bovaird Drive, just east of Creditview Road and adjacent to Mount Pleasant GO Station. MPV is an exciting new concept in urban village living comprising of modern condo suites and townhomes and one of Brampton’s first new purpose-built rentals in over a decade.
The proposed mural on the hoarding surrounding the site will have exposure on Lagerfeld Drive and into the Mount Pleasant GO Station. One artist (or artist team) will be chosen for the project.
For this opportunity, priority will be given to artists who self-identify as:
- Having a connection to Brampton (i.e. current or former residents, or works within the specific community identified)
- Emerging and mid-career artists
- Diverse and equity-deserving individuals including but not limited to members of visible minority groups, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ communities
Hoarding Art Size:
The mural/artwork will be next to promotional information about the associated community. Only one mural/piece of artwork is requested, which is based on the size of one individual hoarding panel. The piece will be repeated in multiple locations across the hoarding of the site.
The piece should be created and sized accordingly for print to the following size:
- Hoarding panel size = 1.22 m width x 2.44 m height or 48” width x 96” height (portrait orientation)
- The piece must be repeatable, so a pattern-based piece is recommended.
- The piece will be repeated on approximately 50% of the total length of the hoarding. The total artwork coverage is 2,082” and 450” wide, each 8 ft tall.
The desired concept for the mural would include the following theme: “Come together” – What happens when planners, visionaries, and dreamers, environmentalists, architects and global entrepreneurs come together; and strive to illustrate these key messages:
- The future of community living
- Connectivity (highways, transit, go train)
- Convenience (neighbourhood amenities)
- Surrounded by nature (family parks) and
- Creating a sense of community where friendly, diverse neighbours come together
- More than just a place to live, MPV is the first phase of a new, vibrant master-planned community that will inspire a new way of living in Brampton’s Mount Pleasant Village. Here is a video about the MPV community
- Uniquely inspired by The Daniels Corporation – masters of master-planned communities, in partnership with the development expertise of Choice Properties – MPV is dedicated to connectivity.
We encourage submissions that allow for foot traffic engagement and include interactive components within the art using artistic elements that would compel individuals to stop and connect with the art.
The selected artist or artist team will be required to provide the final approved file in the following format (note this is not required for the proposal, but Artist must ultimately be able to supply Artwork, if selected, as per below):
- All supplied files must be 100 dpi at full size (as-is). Generally backboards are 8 ft tall = 96 inches or 2,540mm (plus we need bleed of an additional 2 inches on all four sides). We will be fabricating with either alupanel or creazon, both of which come in 4 ft width x 8 ft height panels. (48 inches wide or 25.4 mm).
- Hoarding is rarely if ever level. When designing, bare-in-mind that grade will affect installation. Generally installation will involve running a plumb line horizontally from one side to the other. We use this line to centre any specific copy. There may be some stepping down of graphics to accommodate the grade. If possible, design in shorter lengths of 4 ft width x 8 ft height as it helps to hide or minimize any stepping down of the graphics.
- As your files will be large, feel free to supply digital files by a service such as Wetransfer or Google Drive. Files must be in jpeg or tiff format for reproduction.
- All imagery is produced in 4 colour process – there will be no option to pantone match. Ultimately, we will endeavour to maintain the colours of your original creative and strive for pleasing colour overall.
- Any proofs will be supplied digitally.
Daniels’ marketing agency will be responsible for colour proofing and installation of hoarding, and will endeavour to maintain original colour as closely as possible within the limitations of the print process. Files will be converted to CMYK for printing purposes on outdoor vinyl.
ABOUT THE PROCESS AND TIMELINE
Stage 1 – Request for Proposals
Open call for submissions. Proposals to be accepted until June 14, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Stage 2 – Selection Process and Contract Award
After the proposals have been received, Daniels’ review committee will assess proposals and select an artist or artist team for award by June 24, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
Stage 3 – Production
Selected artist/artist team to consult with representatives from Daniels to finalize their concept/design. Selected artist to complete and submit the final high-resolution file/s as per requirements within three weeks of contract award. Final approved artwork due from selected artist on July 14, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Before the final artwork is due, the selected artist may submit progress image/s to Daniels for consultation/approval. Production and installation of the artwork, to be completed by Daniels and its marketing agency, will commence shortly after.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS (by email only):
- A curriculum vitae, resume or biography of the artist(s). The CV must include your full contact information and any other supporting material you would like to include (web links, reviews, catalogues, etc.).
- An artist statement (1-page maximum) outlining experience in public art, indicating/self-identifying as:
- Having a connection to Brampton (i.e. current or former resident(s), or works within the specific community identified)
- Emerging and mid-career artist(s)
- Diverse and equity-seeking individual including but not limited to members of visible minority groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ communities
- Up to three reference images of past artwork examples with a list of all the images submitted that includes the following information for each work: title, medium, dimensions, year of completion.
- Proposal is to include images and a detailed description of the proposed art /ideas of the theme. The entire Work does not need to be illustrated at the proposal stage. The contract will be awarded on or before June 10, 2022. The final Work must be completed and submitted by the selected Artist per the file/artwork specifications on or before June 30, 2022.
- Proposal must include a proposed budget and shall include the following considerations:
The proposed fee must include granting Daniels and Choice permission to include the artwork image/s in communications and marketing materials, or any media now known or later developed, including but not limited to social media, the Daniels and Choice websites, the project microsite, display renderings or other communications such as email communications regarding the Daniels MPV community, with no additional royalties due.
- Please submit proposals via email to the address noted below.
Only one submission per artist or artist team will be accepted.
The deadline for submissions is June 14, 2022 at 11:59PM.
Please send submissions as attachments by email only (no file transfer links to download please) to LocalArt@danielscorp.com to a maximum of 10 MB total.