Call for Submissions: Digital Mural for the Exterior of a Construction Site in Erin Mills, Mississauga
Call for Submissions – Hoarding Artwork
Digital Mural for the Exterior of a Construction Site in Erin Mills, Mississauga
The Daniels Corporation (Daniels) and Amica Senior Lifestyles (Amica), invites artists or artist teams to submit proposals in consideration for a public art installation to be displayed around the perimeter of a construction site in Erin Mills, Mississauga. The submission process will involve consulting with team members of Daniels and Amica on the design of the work to arrive at a final concept.
For Daniels and project partners, each new home community is a work of art. From conception through to completion, every Daniels-built community is designed to enhance its surroundings, the community and to make a statement about its unique character.
The proposed art installation project includes a digitally rendered mural to be applied to construction hoarding around the Daniels Erin Mills site. This master-planned multi-generational community includes two residential condominium buildings, Kindred Condominiums and The Kith Condominiums by Daniels, and a senior’s residence in partnership with Daniels and Amica.
The community is a 2-minute walk to Credit Valley Hospital and Erin Mills Town Centre. There are a number of high-ranking schools close by, as well as parks, trails, grocery stores, pharmacies, and entertainment options.
One artist (or artist team) will be chosen for the project. For this opportunity, priority will be given to artists who self-identify as:
- Having a connection to Mississauga: current or former resident, or works within the specific community identified (Erin Mills)
- Emerging and mid-career artists
- Diverse individuals belonging to equity-deserving groups including but not limited to members of visible minority groups, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ people
- Only (one) digital mural/artwork is to be created.
- Artwork to be designed to height of 8 feet (based on size of lower hoarding panels).
- Artwork to extend up to a length of 73 feet, with feature elements concentrated within a 20 foot section in the middle.
- Artwork to be used as full length version and may be repeated along sections of the hoarding. Other sections may feature a cropped 20-21 foot version featuring only the middle section. Please refer to the attached package for more information.
- At the artist’s discretion, a pattern-based approach may be used so that the piece is easily scaleable, and can be cropped to various sizes without impacting the integrity of the piece.
- The art may also be used on the smaller, upper panels of the hoarding.
- Design progress images to be shared by the selected artist/artist group with Daniels for review, adjustments and verification before finalizing artwork.
- We encourage submissions that allow for foot traffic engagement and include interactive components within the art using artistic elements that would compel foot traffic to stop and connect with the art.
Concept: Please refer to the attached package for more details.
File delivery: Please refer to the attached package for more details.
Process and timeline: Please refer to the attached package for more details.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS (by email only):
- A curriculum vitae, resume or biography of the artist(s). The CV must include your full contact information and any other supporting material you would like to include (web links, reviews, catalogues, etc.).
- An artist statement (1-page maximum) outlining experience in public art, indicating/self-identifying as:
◦ Having a connection to Mississauga: current or former resident, or works within Mississauga/Erin Mills (please specify)
◦ Emerging OR mid-career artist (please specify)
◦ Diverse individuals belonging to equity-deserving groups including but not limited to members of visible minority groups, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ people
- Up to three reference images of past artwork examples with a list of all the images submitted that includes the following information for each work: title, medium, dimensions, year of completion, references.
◦ Proposal is to include images and a detailed description of the proposed art installation/ideas of the theme. The entire work does not need to be illustrated at the proposal stage, however the final concept/design must be completed within two weeks of the project award. Design progress images to be shared by the selected artist/artist group with Daniels for review, adjustments and verification before finalizing artwork.
◦ Proposal must include a proposed budget with a breakdown of costs. Copyright of the artwork will continue to be owned by the Artist, however fee must include granting Daniels permission to photograph or film and reproduce, use, exhibit, display, broadcast and distribute and create derivative works of these images or videos’ image in any media now known or later developed. The image/s may also be incorporated into the print and/or online marketing brochures to be distributed to real estate agents and prospective purchasers. Additionally, the image(s) may be incorporated into lobby renderings shared on social media, the Daniels website, the project microsite, display renderings or other communications.
Please include, as a separate fee, the cost of reproduction of the art for future permanent display at one location in the building (such as a framed print).
- Please submit proposals via email to the address noted below.
Only one submission per artist or artist group will be accepted.
The deadline for submissions is April 16, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Please send submissions as attachments by email only (no file transfer links to download please) to LocalArt@danielscorp.com to a maximum of 10 MB total.