Call for Submissions: Body + Art Contemporary Exhibition 2020
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
1st Annual Body + Art Contemporary Exhibition 2020
The Truth Gym Gallery & Contemporary Art Committee (Cesar Forero)
The Truth Gym Gallery and the Contemporary Art Committee will host the 1st Annual Body + Art Contemporary Exhibition. Artists at all stages in their career are eligible and all disciplines are welcome.
Thema: The Contemporary Human Body, Movement and Pliability.
The human body in all its incredible capacities to transform, move and recreate itself is the subject of inspiration for the first call for submission of the Truth Gym Gallery.
Multiple facets and possibilities of the human body through dance, sports, acrobatics and any other possible manifestation of human energetic movement should be the subject of inspiration to express the message in this exhibition.
The Truth Gym Gallery (TGG) opens the call for submission for the first exhibition to represent its mandate focusing on the strength of enhancing, modifying and invigorating the human body. The beauty of the human body and all of what it is capable of doing will be hosted on over 10,000 square feet of floor dedicated to “Body + Art”. Traditional, Alternative and contemporary techniques and media incorporating the dynamic human body should be the subject for the two dimensional pieces.
This call is open to all national and international artists and highly motivates participants from the British Columbia region.
Categories of Entry:
* 2 dimensional work
(max. dimensions 60 in. x 60 in., including frame)
(max. weight of 15lbs. for wall art)
Entry Form Please CLICK HERE
- 1. An artist may submit a maximum of TWO entries. All work must be original, created by the entrant, no older than two years.
- 2. A brief (80 words max.) written synopsis of each work must be included with the entry. Works not including this synopsis will not be accepted.
- 3. All (2 dimensional) works must be properly wired and prepared for hanging/displaying. Works NOT prepared for display may not be considered. If the TGG or CAC staff must alter the work for hanging, neither will be responsible for any damages to the works.
- 4. Shipping of work to and from the exhibit is the sole responsibility of the artist. The TGG and Committee assume no responsibility or liability for loss or damage that may occur in transit or off of gallery property, or any damages which occur 48 hours after the exhibition and gallery insurance coverage ends.
- 5. All shipping and packaging materials must be labelled with the artists name and works, and including an inventory of all materials necessary for shipping.
- 6. Items will be inspected upon arrival, then photographed and catalogued. Any damage will be reported to the owner immediately.
- 7. Entries that are accepted must be on display from November 1st 2020 to Jan 24th 2021. They must be picked up no later than 4pm on January 25th 2021. After that, a ten dollar fee will be charged per day as the gallery does not have the space to accommodate excess artwork.
- 8. The exhibit is juried by digital images. Do not send original artwork. Only representations of the work need to be submitted and originals will be delivered if accepted. Digital files on CD must be jpeg format, about 1MB in size and readable on a PC. Entries will also be accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9. Each entry must be received at the Truth Gym Gallery by Thursday, October 1st, 2020. Entries will also be accepted by email to email@example.com, no later than 4 pm on October 1st, 2020.
• NOTE: Do not submit original work at this time.
• The Truth Gym Gallery and Contemporary Art Committee will not be responsible for loss or damage to materials submitted by mail.
- 10. The digital jurying will be the final selection for works accepted for the show.
- 11. Successful entrants will be notified by phone or email on October 5th, 2020.
- 12. Accepted works must be received by the Truth Gym Gallery no later than October 24th, 2020.
- 13. Sales: Should an artist choose to have their work for sale, a 25% commission is deducted from the sale price. The Artist must include this commission in the price they set and record that price on the entry form. All works must be signed by the artist in the back and include the date of finishing the work for sale certificates.
ALL works must include an insurance value even if “Not For Sale” – if a value is not provided, a $150.00 value will be assigned.
Entry Deadline: Thursday, October 1st, 2020 (digital submission)
Jurying: Saturday, October 3rd, 2020
Delivery of Selected Pieces: Saturday, October 24th, 2020 (deadline)
Opening: Sunday, November 1st, 2020
Exhibition Dates: Sunday, November 1st, 2020, Saturday 23rd, January 2021.
Truth Gym Gallery Inc.
Contact Name: Corey Swiergosz
Address: 1035 Alston St, Victoria, BC, V9A 3S6
Our Location is Accessible
Forero is a Colombian-born Canadian with a background in architecture, sculpture, painting, and public performance.He holds an MA from the Minnesota State University and a MFA from the University of Waterloo, Ontario. He currently sits on the boards at the Temiskaming Art Gallery, Sculptors Society of Canada and Ontario Society of Artist, the Nippissing Regional Curatorial Collective and Contemporary Art Committee.
Virginia Eichhorn is currently the Executive Director & Curator for Quest Art School + Gallery. Previous positions include the Director & Chief Curator of the Tom Thomson Art Gallery (The TOM) from 2009-2018 and she was the first full time Curator of the Canadian Clay & Gallery Gallery from 2005-2009. In 2009 she won the Ontario Crafts Council Award for Curatorial Excellence.
Environmental protectionism, women’s rights, spiritualism, artistic activism and the benefits of cultural diversity have been threads throughout Oakes’ work. In 2010 they moved to Vernon, British Columbia where they designed and built Headbones Gallery and her studio.