Call for Proposals: Yonge + St. Clair Art Installations for DesignTO Festival 2024
Call for Proposals
Art Installations for DesignTO Festival 2024
Festival Dates: January 19 – 28, 2024
Submission Deadline: Sunday, September 24, 2023, 11:59 PM EDT
The Yonge + St. Clair BIA is seeking proposals for medium to large scale office lobby art installations as part of the 2024 DesignTO Festival – the largest cultural celebration of design in Canada with over 100 exhibitions and events forming Toronto’s design week. The Yonge + St. Clair BIA welcomes visual artists, sculptors, designers, architects, and others to submit proposals of all mediums.
Duration: 10 days | January 19 – 28, 2024
- 2 St. Clair W, Lobby – 1 piece (Location image)
- 12 St. Clair E Concourse – 1 piece (Location image)
- 40 St. Clair W, Lobby – 1 piece (Location image)
- 95 St. Clair W, Lobby – 1 piece (Location image)
- Or additional, similar lobbies (Location Image)
Power supply, or additional operational and infrastructure assistance may be provided on-site at the discretion of the review panel. These sites are deemed accessible in terms of accessibility features.
Artists will receive a $3000-$5000 budget per installation piece (includes artist fee and the cost of supplies/materials) to support the production of their piece. If you are submitting existing pieces, the budget is still valid. In your proposal, please provide a breakdown of your budget.
NOTE: Applicants can submit proposals for multiple exhibit areas, however, it is not guaranteed that the panel will select all works together. The panel may only select 1 of your submitted pieces.
- Submit your proposal pieces specifically for the various above installation addresses.
- Large scale pieces are strongly encouraged
- Pieces must fill aim to fill all spaces appropriately
- Artists retain ownership of their work after the exhibition period
- Artist must handle all associated costs for installation and de-installation.
- Please indicate in your proposal whether site modifications, site engineering, or lifts are anticipated for your installation including but not limited to: any hanging equipment requiring ceiling or wall space, drilling, scaffolding, and/or other site infrastructure.
- Please indicate whether you will have availability to meet on-site at Yonge and St. Clair between October 7 to December 1, 2023.
- If you or a member of your team will be working at heights you must provide a copy of a valid license or certification.
Preference for sculptural and/or interactive medium to large-scale pieces. Preference also given to artists who are available in Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area to plan and collaborate locally at select sites ahead of the installation dates.
Applicants are encouraged to independently visit the installation exhibit locations during publicly accessible hours. Office lobbies are open to the public Monday – Friday 9AM – 5PM, and 12 St. Clair E: 10AM – 8PM.
Please submit any inquiries regarding site details to email@example.com
- September 25, 2023 at 9:00 AM EDT – Proposals due
- October 2, 2023 – Artists selected and contracts awarded
- October 6, 2023 – Artist submission sent to DesignTO for program inclusion
- October 7, 2023 – December 1, 2023 – Artist and site team planning and coordination meetings
- October 20, 2023 – Artist statement and description sent to DesignTO for publication
- January 15-18, 2024 – Installation period
- January 28, 2024 – Last day of exhibit and removal
Proposal Package Requirements
- Cover Letter: including your name, telephone number, email, project title, and 100-word artist bio.
- Proposal and Budget: renderings/sketches of the proposed pieces. If the pieces are already produced, dimensions and high-resolution photos of the works are required.
- Current Resume: include prior relevant education, work experience, exhibition history, and awards.
Submit and email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Line: “DesignTO 2024 – Art Proposal” by Sunday September 24, 2023 at 11:59 PM EDT.