Call for Proposals: The Curatorial Incubator, v.18: Learning From the Local
Vtape and NAC
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The Curatorial Incubator, v.18: Learning From the Local
This year, Vtape has invited the Niagara Artists Centre (NAC) to join us for a joint Curatorial Incubator. We are each seeking applications to participate in a curatorial research project that will examine the idea of Toronto-ness (Vtape) and Niagara-ness (NAC) and come up with a program of titles to screen in response.
Participants in The Curatorial Incubator, v.18: Learning From the Local will have an opportunity to hone their curatorial skills in the media arts in a number of important ways: attending specialized workshops conducted by both artists and arts professionals; conducting independent research using the rich resources available through Vtape and NAC; writing a curatorial essay for their program of selected titles, with invaluable editorial assistance provided by arts professionals; and, finally, presenting their curated program to the public.
If your proposal is selected for production, you will receive fees for both curating and writing and a budget to cover the screening fees for the titles that are included in your program.
Research phase (July 18-August 19 2022) includes:
- workshops conducted by artists and arts professionals specializing in media arts,
- free access to the vast research facilities on site at Vtape, with over 6000 titles by
900+ artists and over 2500 articles on video art, and on site at NAC,
- extensive access to the Vtape on-line preview resource available only to curators and authorized researchers.
Writing phase (August 20-October 15)
- working with an editor to produce a curatorial essay and full program notes for the catalogue that will be produced for the screenings
Presentation phase (November 2022) includes:
- an exhibition of all the curated programs will take place at both Vtape and NAC with an introduction by the curator, and
- a fully illustrated catalogue of all the programs with curatorial essays.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: TUESDAY, JUNE 15, 2022
Proposals must include:
- an up-to-date c.v.;
- a statement of intention (1 page in total) that outlines your interest in video and media artwork and why you want to be part of The Curatorial Incubator, v.18: Learning From the Local
NOTE: your statement of intention does NOT have to include a list of titles you would include. Rather it should try to clarify your overall area of interest. You will have lots of time to do your research to find the titles you want to include if you are selected for this program.
- examples of critical writing your have done (published or non-published)
- examples of any curatorial or organizational work you have done
- indicate your availability for workshops on July 16-17, 2022 (days)
And don’t worry; you won’t be held to your original proposal but keep in mind that the jury will need to get an idea of what kind of work you are going to be searching for. Surprises are to be expected along the way. That’s what research is all about.
Send applications by email only, with the words:
Curatorial Incubator v.18 in the subject line: