Call for Expressions of Interest: Public Art Commission for Kingston Road and Whites Road, Pickering
Call to Artists – Expression of Interest (EOI)
Public Art Commission for Kingston Road and Whites Road, Pickering
Deadline: October 30, 2023 at 4 pm EDT.
The City of Pickering invites artists or artist teams to respond to this Call for Artists to create a permanent outdoor public artwork to be installed at the North-West corner of Kingston Road and Whites Road, Pickering.
The successful artist/artist team will be selected through a two-stage process.
The total budget for the project, including artist fees, materials, and installation is $80,000 (including HST).
One (1) artist/ artist team will be awarded the opportunity*.
*This project and budget is subject to Council approval in 2024.
The City of Pickering resides on land within the Treaty and traditional territory of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation and Williams Treaties signatories of the Mississauga and Chippewa Nations.
Kingston Road, also known as Highway 2, holds significant historical importance as one of the oldest travel and trade routes connecting Toronto to eastern Ontario.
To learn more, click here
The artwork will be located at the North-West corner of Kingston Road and Whites Road, Pickering. The City has already designated the location and has installed the surface onto which the work can be secured. Detailed Terms of Reference will be provided to the shortlisted artist/ artists teams to help them prepare their concept.
$80,000 CAD including HST (maximum)*. This is the total amount available for all related expenses of this public art project including, but not limited to: artist fees, all applicable taxes, detailed renderings, materials, technical consultations and approvals or other expertise as required, fabrication, installation, insurance, equipment, travel to meetings and to the site, and an artist statement for completed work.
*Subject to Council approval.
The selected artist will enter into a written agreement with the City of Pickering following the approval of the acquisition of the public art outlined in the City’s Public Art Policy.
This agreement will address the artist’s obligations, which include, but are not limited to:
- Maintenance and/or conservation plans
- Copyright, Intellectual Property and Moral Rights
- Payments to sub-contractors
Stage 1: Call to Artists – Expression of Interest (EOI)
A public art jury comprised of city staff, practicing arts professionals, and community members will be established for the evaluation of the Stage 1 submissions.
Expression of Interest (EOI) Submissions
Artists/ Artist teams are invited to respond to this EOI by submitting a single pdf document including:
- CV: Professional resume (3-pages max). If submitting as a team, an individual resume should be submitted for each team member.
- Artist statement: describe your interest in this project and share your experience in the field. You can submit a written document (1-page max) or record an audio or video message (MP3 or MP4 file, max 20 MB).
- Portfolio of past work: Examples of relevant work. You may include multiple images per project on 1 page of a maximum to 10 projects (10-pages). Add title, year, scope, budget and a short description.
- References: A list of at least two professional references familiar with your work and working methods. The list must include name, title, complete e-mail addresses and telephone numbers.
Submissions must be sent by email to: email@example.com
Deadline: October 30, 2023 at 4 pm EDT.
If the submissions exceed 20 MB, artists should contact Stoyan Barakov, Coordinator, Public Art who will provide a link to an external file share program.
Incomplete submissions or submissions received after the deadline will not be juried.
It is expected that the commissioned artist(s) will comply with the project’s general timeline dates, as stated below:
- September 25, 2023 – Issue Call to Artists: EOI
- October 30, 2023 – Call to Artists: EOI Submissions due
- Week of November 6, 2023 – Shortlisted Artists notified
- Week of December 4, 2023 – Conceptual Proposals due
- Week of December 18, 2023 – Artists presentations
- February, 2024 – Deadline to notify selected Artist
- March, 2024 – Technical Review with project staff. This meeting will provide the selected Artist with further technical specifications and feedback on the submitted conceptual artwork from lead project staff from the City
- March, 2024 – Project Contract signed and executed for project deliverables*.
*Subject to Council approval of the project
- September 2024 – Anticipated installation date
*Schedule is subject to change
The City will provide accommodations throughout the selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please notify Stoyan Barakov, Coordinator, Public Art at 289.200.7829 or firstname.lastname@example.org of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
Reserved Rights of the City of Pickering
The City of Pickering, at its sole discretion, may request clarification or request additional information, as deemed necessary to evaluate the submissions. The City retains the sole discretion to determine whether a submission is responsive and if the prospective Artist or Artist Team is capable of performing the Work. The City reserves the right, at it sole discretion, to determine the number of pre-qualified Artists or Artist Teams. The City reserve the right to not proceed with awarding a contract.
Publication of Information
The City of Pickering shall have the exclusive rights to issue all public announcements regarding the competition.
To access the full call, click here
Coordinator, Public Art
+1 (289) 200–7829