Call for Expressions of Interest: Media and Creative Digital Arts Hub, Toronto
City of Toronto seeks expressions of interest to lease and operate a media and creative digital arts hub at 32 Lisgar Street
The City of Toronto is seeking proposals from qualified not-for-profit corporations to:
- Lease 30,284 square feet of space for up to 20 years, with possibility of extension
- Provide arts and culture programming and services, specifically to support media arts and creative digital uses, to the local community and broader cultural sector;
- Manage and operate the Property, including any sub-tenants; and
- Implement any required capital upgrades or fit-ups to the space, as required
The Property is located in the West Queen West neighbourhood of Toronto and occupies three floors of the podium of a residential condominium development. Most of the available space is contiguous on the second and third floors, with access from the first floor.
The Successful Applicant:
- Will have to demonstrate that they are capable of meeting the minimum capital commitment required to finish and furnish the space to deliver a sustainable media arts centre, with sufficient resources to meet their ongoing operational plan
- Must be an incorporated not-for-profit corporation, who may wish to lease the Property as a sole Tenant or as a head Tenant with sub-tenants. Any sub-tenants must also be incorporated not-for-profit corporations.
The Application, including all required documents, is due July 22, 2022 at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time.
A Media Arts Hub for Toronto
The vision 32 Lisgar is to become a media arts hub that supports a range of creative endeavors and arts programming. Toronto’s arts, digital and creative industries are a force – both creatively and economically. Currently there is no physical hub for public events and activities for the media arts and creative digital community, and space for creative organizations is in short supply. The development of the Property into a hub with a focus on the future of arts and creative digital uses will provide this much needed facility within the city. 32 Lisgar should provide opportunities for artists, creative industries, organizations, festivals, researchers, futurists and creatives to test out new ideas, network, and create collaborations. There should be opportunities for exhibitions, education, workshops, talks, hackathons and many other activities. The City envisions the Property to be a magnet for people interested in the intersection of arts, design, technology and creative digital cultural industries, as well as a place for tourism and the community to gather in the neighbourhood.
Toronto has an opportunity to be the centre for the future of media arts and other creative digital uses by leveraging current economic powerhouses such as the media arts, gaming, music, VFX/animation, film and technology and merging them with immersive, AR/VR, esports, AI, blockchain and other emerging technologies.