Call for Expressions of Interest: Community Mural for West Shore Skate Park, Pickering
Call to Artists: Community Mural
West Shore Skate Park
Deadline: April 17, 2023 at 4 pm EDT.
The City of Pickering invites artists to respond to the Call to Artists to create a temporary outdoor community mural for West Shore Skate Park.
As per the City of Pickering Public Art Policy (CUL 130) an artist is defined as the designer/creator of an artistic work and can include, but is not limited to, a professional artist, graphic designer, collaborative team, architect, or landscape designer.
A public art jury comprised of city staff, practicing arts professionals, and community members will be established for this two-stage competition.
The artwork will be located in Westshore Skate Park, 1011-1015 Bayly Street, Pickering. The newly designed skateboard spot in the West Shore Neighbourhood provides a public site for a community mural.
Public Art Opportunity
The City of Pickering’s Cultural Strategic Plan (2014) outlines the City’s commitment to collaborate with the community to celebrate our cultural diversity, heritage and the arts; to sustain our natural environment; to foster a creative economy; and to strengthen our vibrant neighbourhoods.
This public art piece is intended to be created and executed with the help of the community, reflective of the neighborhood and the recreational activities that take place in this location.
$32,000 CAD including HST (maximum). This is the total amount available for all related expenses of this temporary public art project including, but not limited to: artist fees, all applicable taxes, detailed renderings, materials, community consultations and schedules or other expertise as required, insurance, equipment, travel to meetings and to the site, and an artist statement for completed work.
The artist and the artwork must adhere to the following design parameters:
- Be an exterior mural installation, suitable for exhibition in a public space;
- Be developed and executed with the involvement of the West Shore community;
◦ Experience working with youth will be considered an asset.
- Be able to organize and coordinate community workshops;
◦ City Staff will introduce the artist to the Pickering West Shore Community Association (PWSCA) and Community Services Youth Programs team.
- Be appropriate for the site in scale, execution, materials and creativity;
- Be created using high quality, long-lasting materials; and
- Not pose a risk to public safety.
Stage 1: Open Call
City Staff will review all submissions and identify a short-list based on artistic excellence and demonstrated or perceived ability to create and execute an engaging community-based mural that is complementary to the overall design scheme and community context.
Artists are invited to respond to this EOI by submitting a single pdf document:
This pdf document must be labeled with the name of the artist and project (Last Name First Name_ WestShoreSkateParkMural) and include:
- CV (one for each team member, if applicable)
- Brief artist statement outlining interest in project, showing relevant experience, ability, and general artistic approach. Please include your experience and intended approach to the community engaged process. Do not include proposals at this stage.
- Maximum ten (10) images of work, with caption including title, materials, dimensions, location, and commissioning body (if applicable). Audio / Video files may be provided via URL.
- Names and contact information for two references (preferably from recent community projects).
Email submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions must be received by 4PM EDT, April 17, 2023.
Late submissions will not be accepted.
Stage 2: In depth portfolio review
The short-listed artists will be notified in early May, 2023 and invited to re-submit (if they wish) a portfolio of past projects that further highlights their expertise in a PowerPoint presentation. A detailed Terms of Reference project document will be provided to help short-listed artists prepare their portfolio.
The City will provide accommodations throughout the selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please notify Stoyan Barakov, Coordinator, Public Art at 289.200.7829 or email@example.com of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
Reserved Rights of the City of Pickering
The City of Pickering, at it sole discretion, may request clarification or request additional information, as deemed necessary to evaluate the submissions. The City retains the sole discretion to determine whether a submission is responsive and if the prospective Artist or Artist Team is capable of performing the Work. The City reserves the right, at it sole discretion, to determine the number of pre-qualified Artists or Artist Teams. The City reserve the right to not proceed with awarding a contract.
Publication of Information
The City of Pickering shall have the exclusive rights to issue all public announcements regarding the competition.
To learn more about this opportunity click here.
Deadline: April 17, 2023 at 4 pm EDT.
Coordinator, Public Art
City of Pickering