Call for Expressions of Interest: 2023 Community Banner Series, City of Pickering
Expressions of Interest:
City of Pickering Community Banner Series
Location: City Wide – A series of 7 Street Light Poles
Deadline: May 26, 2023 by 4:00 pm EDT
The City of Pickering invites artists to respond to the Call for Artists to create a series of seven (7) street banners digitally, to be fabricated and installed by the City, on seven (7) City street light poles. This call is open to individual artists (emerging to established), artist teams or collectives.
The total budget for the creation of seven (7) digital banners, including artist fees is $3,500 (plus HST). A total of three (3) artists digital designed series will be selected.
A Public Art Committee comprised of members with experience as practicing arts professionals, and community members with significant knowledge of arts and culture will be established for this competition.
Public Art Opportunity:
The Community Banner Series call for expression of interest seeks artists to propose street banner designs that will animate and transform the street scape into welcoming and engaging spaces. Artwork is to be created digitally and will be recreated onto vinyl street banners. The artwork will be located within the City of Pickering.
The fabrication of the vinyl banners required for the project, and installation will the responsibility of the City of Pickering. The City will also be responsible for site prep and permits. The costs of all other materials required will be the artists’ responsibility. Designs, artwork, and plans are subject to final approval by the City as per the Community Banner Policy (CUL 140).
The Community Banner Series will build on the success of the original Community Banner Program that has received and archived artwork from a range of artists and artistic practices since 2018. Each year, these banners have contributed to colorful, vibrant, and City proud civic spaces in the City Centre.
Banner artwork should engage Pickering’s diverse local communities; celebrate the city’s natural, social and built environment; and bring more colour, beauty, pride and enjoyment to city streets, and gateways to our community.
Artists are advised that banner artwork must adhere to the following specifications:
- Artwork will be professionally reproduced on vinyl banners 24″ wide x 62″ long.
- Artwork will be printed on both sides of the banner.
- Banner designs should not include text, current political figures, and/or logos.
- The City of Pickering will have reproduction rights to submitted artwork for a period of two years.
- The artist(s) retains sole copyright to their original artwork.
- The City may choose to display images in locations other than Street Light Poles.
- All artwork must be original, made by the artist submitting
- Absolutely no mechanical reproductions of original works are permitted.
- If the original artwork does not meet the above-mentioned dimensions it will be cropped to fit the final banner or mural production.
- The format for digital illustrations is vector or raster-based images for digital collage and digitally painted designs.
- Each file submitted must be clearly identified with your full name and an image number. Artwork must be accompanied with an artwork information sheet that details each image’s title, material/format, date, etc.
- The artist will submit a statement describing their project and process. This text may be used for educational and promotional purposes.
In recognition of the environmental effects of excessive plastic production, this project will include an opportunity to repurpose, refurbish and reuse retired banners for future displays, promotions, or re-created into new temporary public art piece, or re-usable options.
Stage 1: Open Call – Starts May 1, 2023
Community Services Staff and the Public Art Committee will review submissions and identify a short-list based on artistic excellence and demonstrated or perceived ability to create and execute an innovative, engaging public artwork that is complementary to the overall design scheme and community context.
Expression of Interest Submissions:
Artists are invited to respond to this call by submitting a single pdf document. This pdf document must be labeled with the name of the artist and project (LastName FirstName_ Community Banner Series) and include:
- CV (one for each team member, if applicable)
- Brief artist statement outlining interest in project, showing relevant experience, ability, and general artistic approach. Please include your experience and intended approach to the community engaged process. Do not include proposals at this stage.
- Maximum ten (10) images of work, with caption including title, materials, dimensions, location, and commissioning body (if applicable). Audio / Video files may be provided via URL.
- Names and contact information for two references (preferably from recent projects).
Submissions must be received by: May 26, 2023 by 4:00 pm EDT.
Late submissions will not be accepted.
Email submissions to:
Jesse St. Amant
Coordinator, Cultural Services
City of Pickering
Stage 2: Conceptual Design
The short-listed artists will be notified on June 21, 2023 and invited to submit a conceptual design proposal for the series of seven (7) banners. A detailed Terms of Reference project document will be provided to help short-listed artists prepare their proposals.
Short-listed artists will be paid a fee of $1,000.00 (+HST) for their submission of the complete conceptual design proposal. Short-listed artists may be required to attend an interview and present their proposals to the Public Art Committee in September 2023.
Call for submissions opens: May 1, 2023
Call for submissions closes: May 26, 2023
Public Art Committee review – Stage 1: May 31, 2023
Notification of shortlist artists: June 21, 2023
Artist designs due: August 4, 2023
Public Art Committee review – Stage 2: September 6, 2023
Notification of three (3) selected Artists: September 26, 2023
Banner Mock-up by City Graphic Designer Review: October 2023
Fabrication and Installation: December 2023
Banners will be on display for 2 Years. The above schedule and length of banner display time is subject to change. Decisions of the Public Art Committee are reviewed by the Cultural Advisory Committee and are final, pending approval of the Director, Community Services as per the Community Banner Policy CUL 140.