Call for Applications: University of Waterloo Funded MFA in Studio Art 2023
University of Waterloo, Department of Fine Arts
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
The MFA Studio Art Program
Waterloo has an intimate program built around studio research, practice, professional development, and pedagogical training. Studio work culminates in a solo exhibition at UWAG (University of Waterloo Art Gallery); see past thesis exhibitions here. The pedagogical component includes a seminar in course development, two teaching assistantships and the opportunity to teach an introductory, studio-based course.
Generous Funding Plus
Our funding is $39,350, (which includes the $9,350 Shantz Scholarship), one-on-one mentoring with distinguished faculty, plenty of access to facilities, a solo exhibition in our nationally renowned gallery UWAG, and teaching placements. The University of Waterloo is a real gem.
Here’s Who You Could Work With
- Lois Andison, Professor—sculpture and installation
- Cora Cluett, Associate Professor—photography and painting
- Tara Cooper, Associate Professor—print media and video
- Joan Coutu, Professor—visual culture and art history
- Ivan Jurakic, Director of UWAG—curator
- Logan MacDonald, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Art — Indigeneity, painting, installation and curation
- Bruce Taylor, Professor—ceramics, sculpture and drawing
- Jessica Thompson, Associate Professor—sound, performance, mobile technologies
- Bojana Videkanic, Associate Professor—art history, theory, performance art and curation
Come Here, Go Anywhere
A key feature of our program are the Keith and Win Shantz International Research Scholarships, which enable all MFA candidates to travel and study alongside a professional artist during their summer term. Our students have been to the Brazil, China, England, France, Germany, Norway, Portugal, Prague, Scotland, Spain, and the United States.
Top University for Innovation
The University of Waterloo is one of the leading comprehensive universities in the country and has been recognized by Maclean’s magazine as #1 one in Canada for most innovative university, #2 for best overall university, and #3 for highest quality (Maclean’s 2023 university rankings).
The application deadline for our MFA program is February 1, 2023.
Note: Fine Arts is only accepting domestic applicants at this time (i.e. Canadian citizens or permanent residents). Due to a combination of university and provincial funding, we are limited in our capacity to support international students.
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1