Call for Applications: University of Waterloo Funded MFA in Studio Art 2022
The University of Waterloo
MFA, Fine Arts
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022
The MFA Program
Waterloo has an intimate program built around studio research, practice, professional development, and pedagogical training. Studio work culminates in a solo exhibition at UWAG (University of Waterloo Art Gallery); see past thesis exhibitions here. The pedagogical component includes a seminar in course development, two teaching assistantships and the opportunity to teach an introductory, studio-based course.
Generous Funding Plus
With over $34,000 for five consecutive terms (2022), one-on-one mentoring with distinguished faculty, plenty of access to facilities, a solo exhibition in our nationally renowned gallery UWAG, and teaching placements, the University of Waterloo is a real gem.
Here’s Who You Could Work With
- Lois Andison, Associate Professor—sculpture and installation
- Cora Cluett, Associate Professor—photography and painting
- Tara Cooper, Associate Professor—print media and video
- Joan Coutu, Professor—visual culture and art history
- Ivan Jurakic, Director of UWAG—curator
- Doug Kirton, Associate Professor—painting and drawing
- Logan MacDonald, Assistant Professor—indigeneity, installation and curation
- Bruce Taylor, Professor—ceramics, sculpture and drawing
- Jessica Thompson, Associate Professor—sound, performance, mobile technologies
- Bojana Videkanic, Associate Professor—art history, theory, performance art and curation
Keith and Win Shantz International Scholarships
A key feature of our program are the Keith and Win Shantz Scholarships, which enable all MFA candidates to travel and study alongside a professional artist during their summer term. Our students have been to the England, Germany, Spain, Scotland, Denmark, Brazil, China, Portugal and the United States. To find out more from our scholarship recipients see the 2018 Shantz Short. Despite having to adapt to COVID-19 and travel restrictions, Waterloo plans to continue this unique opportunity—a cornerstone of our program.
Top University for Innovation
The University of Waterloo is one of the leading comprehensive universities in the country and in 2022 was recognized by Maclean’s magazine as #1 for most innovative university, #1 for experiential learning, and #1 computer science.
The application deadline for our MFA program is February 1, 2022.