Assistant Director & Inventory Manager, Art Metropole
Assistant Director & Inventory Manager
Art Metropole is seeking applications for the full-time position of Assistant Director and Inventory Manager. This position will be instrumental in carrying the organization through a challenging and exciting transition, as the organization moves to a new facility and adapts in the short term to measures related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong interest in contemporary art & publishing practices and will be motivated to ensure the success of the organization as we look forward to its 50th anniversary.
Art Metropole is actively taking measures to ensure better representation of equity-seeking cultural workers throughout the organization, particularly in leadership and governance. We strongly encourage and will prioritize applications from those who are Black, Indigenous, people of colour, Queer, Trans, differently abled, and from other self-identifying applicants.
Established in 1974, Art Metropole is an internationally renowned artist-run centre that promotes the appreciation of artist-initiated publishing in any media, especially those formats predisposed to sharing and circulation. Art Metropole specializes in the production, contextualization, and distribution of artist’s books, multiples, and related materials, including innovative formats and emergent technologies.
Working in collaboration with Art Metropole’s staff and reporting to the Executive Director, the Assistant Director assists with all aspects of the organization’s daily operations. The position holds specific responsibility for the management of the physical and online inventory and holdings, including an important role promoting and managing Art Metropole’s in-store and online sales. The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, experience working with online platforms, working knowledge of inventory management systems and/or retail experience, and will have a keen interest in artists’ publications and multiples.
Art Metropole is maintained by a small group of artists and administrators working in collaboration to fulfill the institution’s mandate under the governance of a Board of Directors. Art Metropole is seeking a candidate with proven collaborative skills and a desire to actively contribute to the institution’s history and continued service.
- Assists in the day-to-day operations of Art Metropole, including working Art Metropole’s retail space, pop-up projects and fairs as needed and in coordination with the Executive Director and staff
- Assists with the planning and execution of artistic programming, including publications, talks, exhibitions, and special projects.
- Assists in grant writing and fundraising, including corporate sponsorship and donor relations, in coordination with the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Assists in the financial and administrative operations and planning of the organization, including the development and management of annual budgets and plans, in collaboration with the Executive Director, bookkeeper, and Board of Directors
- Receives, processes, packs and ships (local, national, international) daily sales orders as well as coordinates shipments for art fairs and other events
- Works with staff to maintain accurate records of inventory and holdings, including collection and archives, and takes leadership role in the annual inventory count in collaboration with staff and volunteers
- Works with the Executive Director to develop and refine collection policies and helps plan Art Metropoles acquisitions and deaccessions as required
- Processes quarterly consignment reports using Art Metropole’s dedicated Content Management System (CMS) and produces sales and inventory reports for artists and publishers and for the organization’s accounting purposes
- Works with the Executive Director to develop and refine systems and policy for managing, promoting, and disseminating inventory
- Prepares wholesale orders, maintains and builds relationships with artists and suppliers
- Researches, develops and maintains relationships with academic and collecting libraries, universities and other institutions, in collaboration with staff
- Provides e-commerce customer service, including troubleshooting, back orders, responding to general shipping inquiries
- Coordinates and oversees volunteers and interns in coordination with Executive Director and staff
- A proven team player with enthusiasm for Art Metropole’s mission and experience working in a collaborative environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with contemporary art practices and non-profit artist-run centres; familiarity with artist’s books and bookselling is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must be outgoing, friendly and customer-service driven
- Highly organized, able to multitask and prioritize, able to work under tight timelines
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong computer skills, with familiarity with standard office software, including word processing and spreadsheet software. POS experience is a plus
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a field related to contemporary art or equivalent education and experience is required; a specialization in Library Sciences, Archives and Records Management, or Arts Administration is an asset
- Graphic design experience and familiarity with HTML, CSS and PHP, Google and Adobe Creative Suite are considerable assets
- Experience in art handling, archival material, installing art exhibits is a considerable asset.
- Publishing experience and related skills are an asset.
This position is remunerated at $45,000 per annum based on an average of a 35-hour work week. This position carries an expected start date in October 2020. Benefits include an extended health plan and opportunities for paid time off for professional development.
The position entails working Saturdays and occasional evenings, and may require occasional national or international travel. Art Metropole’s office is located in downtown Toronto; the primary language required is English.
Application deadline: September 19th at 5pm ET.
Applicants should include a cover letter and CV and be sent in PDF format only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.