Art Gallery Director, City of Swift Current
Art Gallery Director
Closing Date: October 31, 2022
Start Date: ASAP
Annual Salary Range: $92,194 – $112,169
Full Employee Benefit Package
Located on the Trans Canada Highway, Swift Current is a dynamic city of approximately 16,000 people. It is the major population centre for Southwest Saskatchewan. The area is largely an agricultural base, with oil and gas, tourism and manufacturing sectors contributing to the economy. The City of Swift Current has many larger city amenities and provides the quality of life of a smaller community.
Art Gallery of Swift Current (AGSC) is situated on the territories of the nêhiyawak, Anihšināpēk, Dakota, Lakota, and Nakoda, and the homeland of the Métis/Michif Nation. AGSC is a dynamic cultural hub, promoting the development and appreciation of contemporary Canadian art, with an emphasis on Saskatchewan and Western Canadian artists. AGSC programming includes a diverse range of exhibitions, educational programing, artist led workshops, seasonal classes, as well as artists talks and receptions when possible.
The City of Swift Current is accepting applications for the position of Art Gallery Director. This is a permanent full-time position, reporting to the General Manager of Community Services. This position is responsible for directing, planning, curating and managing all programming and operations including supervising staff, planning and managing the AGSC budget. As the lead expert on visual art, this position is responsible for curating exhibitions, art collections, public programming and events.
- Master’s degree or higher in visual art or art history;
- Must have extensive experience working in arts administration, art curating, art galleries and/or museums;
- Must have experience with collections management, related artwork handling and hosting professional quality art exhibitions;
- Must have critical thinking skills regarding artwork with a highly refined visual sensibility;
- Must have experience with hosting and developing public programs and events;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other related software;
- Experience with space design, graphic design and photography;
- Must possess excellent leadership, problem-solving, organizational and project management skills;
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deal with all levels of staff, City leadership, local culture service organization partners, artists, media, sponsors, volunteers and patrons;
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license, WHMIS and Basic First Aid certification; and
- Willingness to become Youth Certified.
- Experience working as an artist; and
- Experience with carpentry or woodworking and having a mechanical sensibility.
The City of Swift Current offers a competitive compensation package including a full employee benefit package. The annual salary range for this position is $92,194 to $112,169. Please submit a resume, cover letter and three working references by 4:30 p.m. on October 31, 2022 to:
Human Resource Department
City of Swift Current
P.O. Box 340
Swift Current, SK S9H 3W1
Fax: (306) 778-2194
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
We wish to thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.