Adult Art Instructors, City of Toronto, Scarborough District
Cedar Ridge Creative Centre, operated by the City of Toronto, Arts Services, delivers high-quality, inclusive arts programming, events and services, in collaboration with partners, artists and arts organizations that serve diverse communities outside of Toronto’s core, including seasonal programs that meaningfully engage children and/or youth in creative expression, and arts-based skill building and learning.
Adult Art Instructors are currently being recruited to instruct programs at Cedar Ridge Creative Centre. Artists with expertise in Pottery, Sculpture, Drawing & Painting, Mixed Media, Fibre Arts/Weaving, and Jewellery, with experience teaching adults, are invited to apply.
Deadline to apply: July 14, 2022
Applications are accepted online only through the above link.
Job Type: Temporary, Part-time
Hourly Rate: $27.38
Number of Positions: 5
Season: Summer; Fall; Spring; Winter
Start Date: TBD
Posting End Date: July 14, 2022
Adult Instructor Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, implements, instructs and evaluates program session for advanced level arts programs for adults in a specified medium (including but not limited to Pottery, Sculpture, Drawing & Painting, Mixed Media, Fibre Arts/Weaving, Jewellery).
- Provides in-studio demonstrations on various aspects and techniques in the specified medium appropriate to the skill level of the class.
- Provide professional level individual critiques and leads class discussions to advance independent study and progress in the genre or medium.
- Demonstrates and teaches students regarding tool use, equipment and technical aspects related to the art program.
- Educates students on Health & Safety procedures to be followed in studio arts specific to the medium.
- Advertise and promote the program in conjunction with manager.
Please see the full list of responsibilities here.
Adult Instructor Qualifications:
- Considerable teaching experience in a related field or art discipline at the adult level.
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience related to the specified medium including studio experience.
- Degree or Diploma in the specified medium OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety practices in relation to working in the studio arts and specified medium.
- Portfolio required.
- Occasional weekend and evening work as required including occasional work at special events and exhibits.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
- A Police Reference Check will be required as a condition of employment for this position.
- You possess certification in Parks and Recreation Ontario’s Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHCD). This is a mandatory course that will be provided to you at no cost upon obtaining a conditional offer of employment. You will be provided with course dates and details at that time.
Note: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City’s Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the Requisition ID and the job title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.
Vulnerable Sector Check: One of the requirements for working with children and vulnerable adults is applicants providing the results of a Vulnerable Sector Check. Please see the postings for additional information.