Technical Specialist in Visual Arts, Western University
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
The Department of Visual Arts provides the best student experience in the field of art among North America’s leading Universities.
The Technical Specialist provides hands-on technical support and conducts workshops for faculty and students in the various media labs and other digital media assets within the Department of Visual Arts. In addition, the role will also support the Arts & Humanities Faculty Grad Research Media Pod, ensuring working order and supervision of the use of computers and satellite stations and providing troubleshooting and long-term planning solutions for computer systems. The role provides direction and guidance to undergraduate and graduate students, staff, faculty and other stakeholders, responds to inquiries of a highly technical nature related to specific projects, by designing and offering workshops and demonstrations to support digital media classes and providing support for technical lessons, work sessions, exercises and critiques as needed. The Technical Specialist also assists with training and overseeing students to ensure the safe and effective use of equipment, ensuring that compliance with safety standards is maintained. The role maintains both hardware and software of the computer systems and media equipment within the Visual Arts Building and maintains a schedule of events for classes and student use for all media lab areas.
- 3 year Community College Diploma in a Media-based Studio Arts related program
- 4 year University Bachelor’s Degree in a Media-based Studio Arts related program with a new media focus preferred
- 4 years of technical experience maintaining computer labs and working with hardware and software related to digital media assets
- Experience working with a variety of multimedia and open-source software with thorough knowledge of MacIntosh and PC computer systems
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with preventative maintenance techniques and practices with excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
- Knowledge of, ability to work with and maintain scanners, 3D printers, sound booth equipment (such as microphones, mixers, Motu external HD, keyboard, turntable, cables computer), smart room cabinets (such as projects, computer, components), and Digital Creativity/Live Stream Lab components (e.g. ATEM mini, computer, audio equipment, video camera, streaming software)
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of, and to adapt to, emerging technologies
- Verbal and written communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users with an ability to deliver workshops and presentations
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one’s own unit
- Communication skills to listen to the complete message, solicit more information as required, and provide feedback
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use relevant software, applications or equipment that achieves required outcomes (such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop, iMovie, Logic Pro, Web-generating software, Sketchup, etc.)
- Ability to be forward thinking, anticipate possible errors, and take preventative measures
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to investigate defined issues, solicit input, and suggest remedies and alternative approaches that meet the needs of the situation
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Decision making skills to resolve complex technical issues
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability to provide guidance, support and feedback in a way that is positively received
- Ability to take responsibility for own work and ensure that deadlines are met and outcomes are achieved
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement, while being open to trying new ideas and working methods
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university’s policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Interested applicants are asked to visit recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #25800 by midnight on April 26, 2022.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.