Request for Proposals: Springtime Flowers Interactive Art Installation
Request for Proposals
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, March 15, 2022
The Yonge + St. Clair Business Improvement Area (BIA) is currently accepting applications for an outdoor three-dimensional public artwork that captures the essence of Springtime flowers and has an element of buzzworthy engagement and accessibility with the public. The art installation will also serve as a unifying theme across select local storefronts to establish neighbourhood participation. This art installation is intended to become an ongoing annual feature in the heart of Midtown Toronto.
Consideration for the Artwork
Artwork Goals and Themes: The “Springtime Flowers” art installation celebrates the return of public life to the Yonge + St. Clair neighbourhood capturing the vibrancy, sense of play and excitement of springtime in Toronto. Artists should consider how their proposed installation will develop the connectivity between public and storefront spaces located around Yonge + St. Clair, transform the streetscape, and excite and engage the public.
Selection Process and Budget
The art component of this new public space will be selected through an open, one-stage competition, with a net budget of up to $30,000 (+HST). The project budget includes all costs directly associated with the artwork: all fees for design, fabrication, installation, engineering and professional services, insurance, travel and other incidental expenses.
An additional contingency budget may be set aside to retain the artist’s service for critical repair or maintenance work for the 2022 springtime event.
The selected artist/designer will be invited to construct their installation on the privately-owned public space at the intersection of Yonge Street and St. Clair Avenue in midtown Toronto, Ontario.
The installation will be located on flat, even pavement on the ground plane and exposed to the elements. The location is largely unobstructed, featuring square or rectangular placement configurations.
Proposed art sites: Image of 1 St. Clair E and 2 St. Clair E, proposed sites for the art installation. Location may be one of either locations; may be subject to change.
Design Requirements and Considerations
Art installation designs should meet the following design considerations:
- Art installation must function as public outdoor art, enduring outdoor weather conditions.
- Art installation materiality and design must be optimized for public interaction with minimal outdoor security or supervision.
- Art installation must be designed for annual re-usability. Creative or innovative solutions for re-usabiliy and/or modular design are welcome.
- Art installation must be designed in a way to facilitate seasonal transport and off-site storage listing the artist’s recommendations.
- Art installation must not contain content in breach of any intellectual property, trademarks, brands or depictions of vulgar, offensive or illegal activity.
General Terms of Entry
- The Springtime Flowers submission is open to all artists and designers of all mediums.
- Acceptance of work is not guaranteed. The Yonge + St. Clair BIA’s decision is final. Any work not meeting the stated terms of entry will not be considered.
- Entry forms must be filled out correctly. When filling out your application, you must use your legal name. Companies/organizations/collectives may submit 1 application package, but must apply with the full legal name of a representative/contact person.
- To be eligible as a collective, you must have produced a collaborative body of work and worked together for a minimum of two years to develop a singular artistic/design practice.
Who can apply
We welcome individual artists, designers, and artist groups at any stage of their careers with formal or informal training, from all disciplines, to apply to be a part of the Yonge + St. Clair Spring Art Installation. Artists and designers must be comfortable working with materials and structures that can withstand outdoor conditions.
Submissions must be made through the online Google Form.
Applicants must submit a completed application form – including an artist statement, and a maximum of 5 images in JPG format, each image no larger than 3MB as well has a brief summary of budget and expenses. There is no submission fee.
All submissions will be reviewed, scored, and selected by representatives of the Yonge + St. Clair BIA. Works will be selected based on originality, quality, expression of the theme, and overall impression. We recommend all applicants to submit high quality images that effectively communicate the proposed installation.
2022 Important Dates
February 28 – Submissions open
March 15 – Submissions close
March 25 – Selected artists notified
May 6 – Installations complete
May 6 – Media Preview – selected artists must be available to attend (time TBD)
May 7 – Launch Event
June 5 – Art Installation End
Use of Images and Media
Selected artists will grant the Yonge + St. Clair BIA educational and promotional usage rights for your images. You are agreeing to license the Yonge + St. Clair BIA usage rights only; the artist always retains their copyright.