Production Manager, Inter Arts Matrix
Position available: Production Manager
Length of contract: 36 weeks
Hours per week: 30 hours/week
Pay per week: $750/week
Start date: October 15, 2021
Reports to: Artistic Producer (AP)
Applicants must reside in the Region of Waterloo, Ontario.
INTER ARTS MATRIX (IAM) is an interdisciplinary think tank, and an incubator of multi and interdisciplinary arts projects, based in the Region of Waterloo, Ontario.
Founded in 2007, IAM is a registered charitable arts organization governed by a volunteer board of directors, and led by an artistic director.
IAM also employs, on a contractual basis, artists of various disciplines, along with technical and administrative staff necessary to support the organization’s mandate: “to educate and increase the public’s understanding and appreciation of interdisciplinary art forms, to assist artists in developing interdisciplinary art and disseminating it to the public, and to provide programs promoting interdisciplinary art.”
The Production Manager Position is funded by grants from the Canada Council for the Arts, Ontario Trillium Foundation, the Musagetes Fund at the Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation, and a special project grant from the City of Kitchener.
The PRODUCTION MANAGER (PM) will work closely alongside the Artistic Director (AD), the Artistic Producer (AP) and the Stage Manager. They will manage production administration and budgets, and supervise and coordinate staff and artists involved in the production.
For this role, we seek a skilled individual that is adept at contingency planning and is able to pivot quickly to meet production needs as they evolve during the ongoing covid-19 pandemic.
Key projects for the PRODUCTION MANAGER:
Inter Arts Matrix is running a nine-month pilot program to further the professional development of emerging artistic directors of inter and multi-disciplinary projects. The pilot consists of six creation workshops of experimental interdisciplinary performances, giving new artistic leaders the opportunity to work with artists of other disciplines, performers, designers, stage manager, production manager, and technical staff, while being supported and mentored by an experienced artistic director from six participating organizations – Inter Arts Matrix, MT Space, NUMUS, Neruda Arts, Open Ears, and Studio D20 Media Arts Collective.
Duties of the Production Manager include but are not limited to:
- Production Administration.
- Supervision of all production staff.
- Management of production budgets.
- Creation and management of all production schedules.
- Contracting designers
- Supervision of technical rehearsals and work calls
- Supervision and arrangement of logistics for creation workshops
- Ongoing enforcement of health and safety regulations, including Fire Safety Plan, COVID-19 health precautions, working at heights, fire code and building code requirements.
Skills required for the position:
- Minimum three years of experience in production or technical management in a theatre or performing arts setting
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in theatre production or a related field
- Previous experience managing multiple projects and organizing production schedules with meticulous attention to detail and capacity to organize and prioritize tasks
- Proven ability to prepare and monitor budgets and accounts accurately
- Sound knowledge of relevant technical theatre disciplines (e.g., sound, lighting, set construction, projection, costume). Previous work experience in these disciplines is an asset
- Familiarity with labour union rates and regulations
- Knowledge of and the ability to consistently ensure compliance with health and safety regulations to maintain a safe working environment
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel and other mutually agreed upon technical production tools, including AutoCAD or VectorWorks
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Interest in interdisciplinary approaches to knowledge and artistic work
The Artistic Director of Inter Arts Matrix is committed to working with Indigenous artists, leaders, and Traditional Knowledge Keepers and inclusion of Indigenous voices in decision making and opportunities for collaborative/creative work. Healing, support, and advocacy are integral to the work of Inter Arts Matrix’s Artistic Director.
The Artistic Director is also devoted to working with artists and persons of varying backgrounds including deaf/blind and disability, visible minorities, seniors, and new generation and/or emerging artists. With a goal to create safe spaces for people of all ages and abilities from diverse social, gender/sexual and cultural identities, the Artistic Director works to develop comprehensive and robust programming that supports both artists and community participants.
The Production Manager will work in collaboration with the Artistic Director to advance this basic operating philosophy of Inter Arts Matrix.
Please prepare a single PDF with:
- a one-page cover letter outlining highlights of your skills and interest in the position
- CV/Resume (maximum three pages)
Email your submission to Sheila McMath, Artistic Director of Inter Arts Matrix, firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Please note, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.