Part-Time Master Instructors in Dance
Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre (QEPCCC)
Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre (QEPCCC) is a unique multi-purpose recreation, arts and culture facility located in Oakville, Ontario. QEPCCC offers many drop-in and registered recreation and culture programs, including studio drop-in and membership programs, and an exhibitions program, and a robust school visit program.
Job Designation: Part-Time Master Instructor
Start Date: Summer 2019
Salary Range: $27.72 – $33.25 per hour
Temporary: Part-time hours, by course appointment
The Town is currently looking for a part time Master Instructors in Dance for summer camp positions as well as fall programs and beyond:
- So You Think You Can Dance – summer camp, 18 hours per week, 8 weeks, age 6-12
- Ballet Basics, Jazz Basics, Creative Dance, Dance Mix, Boyz Beat (Hip Hop), Lyrical – Fall, Winter and Spring programs, 3-9 hours per week, 9-11 weeks in length, age 4-12
Part time Master Instructors/Arts and Culture will provide instructional specialized classes in dance to children ages 6-12 years (camps) and 4-12 years (programs) in a studio environment. The successful candidate must be an independent, reliable individual able to work with minimal supervision and will be expected to assist in developing curriculum.
Part time Master Instructors/Arts and Culture are responsible for developing program specific curriculum, preparing and teaching studio classes in dance, demonstrating techniques and introducing children to contemporary performing arts.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive at your program site in time to properly prepare, set up and start the program according to schedule.
- Prepare, lead and deliver dance classes to meet the needs of all participants registered in the program
- Research and develop age appropriate dance programming for beginner and practicing participants, ensuring that activities are safe, creative, and inclusive of all program participants
- Act as a knowledgeable resource to the program participants and their families
- Ensure on-site safety of participants while encouraging participation and personal development
- Deliver exceptional customer service (including welcoming, conduct and communication) to all participants
- Conduct Program Administration (attendance tracking, registration update, incident reports as required)
- Work cooperatively with other instructors and youth volunteers
- Notify the Cultural Coordinator of any problems and/or recommendations regarding participants or facilities that may affect the program
- Attend staff meetings as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Enrolment in or completion of a post-secondary program in one of: Dance or a related discipline
- Demonstrated abilities and a strong knowledge of dance
- Familiar with a broad range of artistic techniques and practices with one or more of the following interests/skills: dance (ballet, lyrical, hip hop, jazz, contemporary)
- Experience developing lesson and activity plans
- Previous specialized teaching experience in an educational setting
- Strong organizational, planning, time management and leadership skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt instructional practices to diverse audiences
- Ability to work independently
- Training in HIGH FIVE (PHCD) Principles of Healthy Child Development
- Successful candidates, who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check, with vulnerable sector screening, dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment
Letters of application should address the candidate’s expertise in the areas of teaching, professional work, and community service. All applicants must be able to provide a portfolio or be prepared to audition a short piece that demonstrates all of the above during the interview process. For more information, please contact the Cultural Coordinator at (905) 815-5979.
Refer to the Recreation and Culture Guide Spring/Summer 2019 program guide for children’s dance and glee programs.
Applications will be accepted on-line at oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on May 10, 2019.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.