Outreach and Development Manager, Modern Fuel
Suite 305, 370 King Street W., Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7L 2X4
Tel: (613) 548-4883 | www.modernfuel.org
POSITION TITLE: Outreach and Development Manager
START DATE: 2 April 2021
DETAILS: 30-35 Hours per week, 1-year contract with the possibility of renewal (dependent on funding)
SALARY: $40,000 (+ vacation and basic benefits)
LOCATION: Kingston, Ontario
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 27 February 2021 by 11:59 pm
ABOUT MODERN FUEL ARTIST-RUN CENTRE:
Established in 1977 as the Kingston Artists’ Association Inc. Modern Fuel Artist-Run Centre is a nonprofit organization facilitating the presentation, interpretation, and production of contemporary visual, time-based, and interdisciplinary arts. Modern Fuel aims to meet emerging and mid-career artists’ professional development needs, from diverse cultural communities, through exhibitions, discussion, and mentorship opportunities. Modern Fuel supports innovation and experimentation. We are committed to the education of interested publics and bringing contemporary Canadian art to diverse communities, including but not limited to communities defined by culture, artistic discipline, geography, language, age, ability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Our core staff, led by the Executive Director, are supported by a working Board of Directors. Together, we are a small, but extremely creative team of dedicated artists and arts professionals who act to further the development of the artistic landscape in Kingston and beyond. We seek to centre collective care, inclusivity, equity, diversity and accessibility in all that we do to act as an agitator for change in the arts. As an employer, Modern Fuel offers employees access to professional development opportunities, support for individual artistic practice, networking opportunities with other artists and arts professionals, paid vacation time and a competitive employer-supported benefits plan.
Come work with us!
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Modern Fuel is seeking an outstanding, highly motivated individual to take on the role of Outreach and Development Manager and to play a leading role in our organization. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will build upon previous outreach and fundraising initiatives, such as the annual RE:MEMBER exhibition and sale of members artworks, and identify new opportunities to revitalize our work within our communities. The key responsibilities of the position include developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating outreach and fundraising initiatives at Modern Fuel.
The Outreach and Development Manager’s time will be split between fundraising and outreach initiatives at Modern Fuel. These two areas are inextricably connected in our organization and in this role, the successful candidate will also Chair the Development Committee (ex officio) of the Board of Directors which assists in overseeing these areas within the Centre.
The Outreach and Development Manager will:
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Gallery Assistant and Board of Directors to raise Modern Fuel’s profile and build new audiences, supporters, and partnerships for programs, events, and services.
- Create a new fundraising model for Modern Fuel with the help of the Development Committee, including developing corporate donations and sponsorship, individual giving and an annual campaign, foundation grants, membership, special fundraising events and creating other fundraising activities.
- Research and actively seek out support from individuals, private foundations, granting bodies, corporations and sponsorships.
- Maintain donor information in the CRM database; provide and present statistical analysis to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- Assist in developing strategies and communications for fundraising and outreach events alongside the Executive Director, Gallery Assistant and Board of Directors.
- Support the Executive Director, Gallery Assistant and Board of Directors to raise the profile for Modern Fuel and further develop audiences and increase the reach of our programming across demographics. Forge new partnerships across our communities and develop existing ones.
- Develop surveys and gather feedback from partner organizations, members, artists, and audience to understand the current needs of our communities.
- Propose a remodel of existing outreach programs and activities based on research and recommendations that are in line with Modern Fuel’s strategic goals and values.
- Recruit, lead and motivate volunteers to support outreach activities.
- Uphold Modern Fuel’s values of inclusion, accessibility and equity.
According to organizational needs, this position’s schedule requires the Outreach and Development Manager to work Tuesday to Saturday during gallery hours and occasional evenings.
- University degree or college diploma in a related field
- Demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential and sensitive subjects/issues
- Demonstrated experience in project coordination and fundraising initiatives
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Exceptional writing and editing with an ability to modify writing tone and voice to match the needs of varying audiences (staff, board of directors, membership, granting bodies, corporations, general public, etc.)
- Exceptional organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and an ability to balance multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to effectively use software/applications, including MS Office, GSuite, CRM databases, and Zoom
- Understanding of artist-run culture and knowledge of the arts in Canada is considered an asset
- Working knowledge and fluency in another language in addition to English is considered an asset
- Ability to build relationships, develop and utilize professional networks to achieve strategic and organizational goals and objective
- Ability to listen to others and communicate complex information orally and in writing in an effective manner to ensure the message is accurate, conveyed, understood, and tailored to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work collaboratively and within a team, fostering cooperation and positive team dynamics
- Ability to exercise sound decision-making, judgment, and informed decision making
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and evaluate responsibilities and projects
- Ability to exercise self-awareness, respect for others, and clear communication
1-year contract with primary health/dental benefits, two weeks paid statutory holidays and two weeks paid vacation (4 weeks annual vacation). Annual gross salary of $40,000. Possibility of contract renewal dependent upon availability of funding.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are requested to submit a:
- cover letter and CV outlining their skills and qualifications
- a 1 (one) page sample of previous work (such as volunteer recruitment campaign, grant excerpt, fundraising letter, etc.).
- We also ask that candidates include 2 (two) references for contact.
- Please combine all files into a single PDF
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Outreach and Development Manager” in the subject line by 11:59 pm on 27 February 2021.
Equity Seeking Communities
Modern Fuel is committed to equity and diversity in all aspects of its operations. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and strongly encourage equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society. Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada.
Accommodations can be provided upon request, for those interviewees contacted for an interview.
While we appreciate all those who apply, we will only be contacting those under consideration for interviews.
Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Modern Fuel is situated in Kingston on the shores of Lake Ontario on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Anishnaabe peoples. Modern Fuel recognizes Indigenous peoples as the past, present and future caretakers of this land and are grateful to be able to live, work and play on this land as uninvited guests. The Kingston Indigenous community continues to reflect the area’s Anishinaabek and Haudenosaunee roots. There is also a significant Métis community as well as First Peoples from other Nations across Turtle Island present here today. Modern Fuel is committed to honouring and upholding Indigenous sovereignty and self-determination. Furthermore, Modern Fuel acknowledges the historical oppression of lands, languages and cultures of the original Peoples in what we now know as Canada, and we deeply believe that the arts and arts organizations like ours can contribute to the healing and decolonizing journey that we all share together.
Modern Fuel Artist-Run Centre
305 – 370 King Street West
Kingston, ON K7L 2X4