Open Call for Artists: PostScript
In collaboration with Tangled Art + Disability, Public Access invites disabled, crip, d/Deaf, Mad, Sick, and chronically ill artists to submit proposals for new commissioned works on the theme of accessibility and digital publishing. The selected works will be presented as part of PostScript, Public Access’s series of online sessions on accessibility and digital publishing in October 2020.
The deadline for applications is July 30, 2020.
The name “PostScript” simultaneously references a page description language used in publishing applications, the historical problem of seeing accessibility as an “add-on” or afterthought, and future publishing innovations made possible by digital media that come “after” print publishing.
PostScript will connect artists, researchers, academics, publishers, and distributors from around the world who work in the arts and arts publishing and have a stake in, focus on, or interest in issues related to disability. As an online series of sessions that fosters the exchange and debate of ideas and practices about accessibility and digital publishing, PostScript will encourage the development of networks and knowledge sharing, collaboration, and communication. Artists will exhibit their works as part of these sessions and on the Public Access and Tangled Art + Disability websites for the duration of the series. PostScript will take place every Friday in October 2020.
PostScript’s themes may include, but are not limited to:
- Accessibility and digital spaces
- Challenges and opportunities that digital publishing poses for disabled, crip, d/Deaf, Mad, Sick, and chronically ill artists
- The relationship between disabled artists and art criticism
- Broad perspectives and understandings of art “publishing”
- The future of publishing (AR/VR/XR)
- Innovative and creative ways to exhibit and publish work in digital spaces
- Ocularcentrism in the arts (visual culture) and the intersection with accessibility and disability
- Digital technologies and accessibility
- Diversity, neoliberalism, and inclusion
For submission details, and to access different versions of the call (including an accessible PDF, audio versions, a simple English version, and an ASL version), visit: http://www.publicjournal.ca/open-call-for-artists-postscript/
We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts.