Marketing and Communications Coordinator, Nanaimo Art Gallery
Position: Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Hours: Regular Part time; 18 hours/week with possibility of increasing to full time within 6 months, with the fully supported ability to negotiate your working contract to suit the needs of your body and lifestyle and to accommodate how full-time looks for you. Hours could include a mix of in-house time spent at the Gallery and time spent working from home.
Closing date: December 7, 2020
Nanaimo Art Gallery is looking to add a new member to our team! The Marketing and Communications Coordinator shares our values of innovation, collaboration and accessibility and is responsible for developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies throughout the organization.
About Art Gallery of Nanaimo
Located in the heart of Nanaimo, on the lands of the Snuneymuxw, Nanaimo Art Gallery is an ambitious public art museum that inspires and challenges its communities through art.
Over the past several years, the Gallery has moved through a phase of significant transformation to reposition itself in the communities we serve and enhance our capacity. We have re-imagined and enriched our integrated exhibition and education programs, created new partnerships, and strengthened our relationships to artists and audiences. We are a trusted organization with a growing reputation.
Unique in our region, we are creating new understandings of the potential of contemporary art. An inquiry-based approach infuses and connects all Gallery activities and a small, dedicated team of staff, board and volunteers, offer a program that is rooted in our unique regional context and resonates with audiences, globally.
Profile of the Candidate
You are a dynamic and creative individual who is adept in reaching out to established and new audiences to share stories and promote the Gallery’s mission. You are comfortable connecting with audiences and individuals through our website, social media platforms, traditional media channels and marketing initiatives. Using your marketing and communications acumen, you will help the Gallery connect with the communities we serve to increase the visibility and participation in our online and in-person programs and exhibitions. Drawing on previous experience, you will guide the Nanaimo Art Gallery team through our website redevelopment project and create a cohesive plan for communications.
- managing social media presence and multiple platforms
- developing and implementing a social media content strategy
- Working with team to create content for social media platforms
- staying attuned to social media trends
- monitoring social media analytics and gauging the success of posts and campaigns
- coordinating online advertising and report on analytics
- leveraging user-generated content
- providing reporting on user traffic, analytics, engagement
- coordinating the Gallery’s newsletter and electronic communications
- photography and video creation skills for marketing purposes
- coordinating website redesign, liaising with Gallery team and Website Developers
- leading the website content strategy
- optimizing the user experience
- updating and maintaining website content
- maintaining SEO strategy
- analyzing and acting on website analytics, as needed
- developing branding guidelines in conjunction with graphic designer and gallery team
- oversee the graphic designer (contracted position)
- creating and implementing digital and print promotional plan and products
- promoting Gallery exhibitions, programs and events
- copy writing as necessary
- support for fundraising initiatives
- coordinating consistent messaging across digital and print platforms
- consulting with curatorial and programming staff regarding communications in the exhibition gallery
- liaise with media to leverage Gallery news
Requirements (Qualifications, Knowledge, Education and Skills)
- can demonstrate a professional, industry standard portfolio with projects related to fields such as marketing, communications, and universal design for social engagement
- Bachelor’s degree in a related subject field such as marketing, communications or English, from an appropriately accredited institution is preferred
- 5-7 years related experience
- a combination of education and experience will be considered
- passion for art and culture
- desire to contribute to a creative team
- ability to think critically, employ sound judgment, evaluate situations and engage appropriate parties at varying levels to arrive at solutions.
- ability to successfully organize, prioritize and complete multiple planned and unplanned projects
- confident and clear communicator with strong written and oral communication skills
- computer proficiency and ability to work with MS Office and Adobe Suite products
- experience working with initiatives that articulate, refine, and elevate a brand mission, organizational culture, key differentiators and reputation of a non-profit organization
- working knowledge of legal and privacy requirements related to marketing and communications
- exceptional knowledge of social media and website analytics
- experience with a variety of digital marketing tools (Mailchimp, Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager)
- exceptional problem solving and analytical skills
- ability to work some evenings
- experience working with the media an asset
Please submit a letter of interest, detailed curriculum vitae, samples of your work and 3 references by email to email@example.com with the subject heading “Marketing and Communications Coordinator Search”
Closing date for applications is December 7, 2020. Those selected for an interview will be contacted in December.
Nanaimo Art Gallery hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. The Gallery encourages applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.