Lead Installation Technician, Oakville Galleries
Job Opportunity at Oakville Galleries: Lead Installation Technician
Oakville Galleries is an award-winning, not-for-profit contemporary art museum engaging communities throughout Oakville and wider audiences regionally, nationally and internationally with its exhibitions and publications. Currently in two locations—one alongside a public library in downtown Oakville, and the other in a lakeside mansion and park—Oakville Galleries is located 30 km west of Toronto and is easily accessible to more than 7-million people who live in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
We are currently looking for a Lead Installation Technician to join our team.
Nature and Scope of Position
Reporting to the Curator, the Lead Installation Technician contributes to the realization of the Oakville Galleries program through the planning, production, and execution of gallery exhibitions. Typically, there are 3 exhibition installation periods annually. Throughout the year the Lead Installation Technician also assists with the care and maintenance of the permanent collection.
COVID-19 personal protective equipment is provided to the Lead Installation Technician. Masks and a minimum of two COVID-19 vaccines are required for all staff.
Term: Part-time, Permanent: 9 – 12 weeks / year
Rate of Pay: $40 / hour
Anticipated Start Date: March 1, 2023
Location of Work: Oakville, Ontario
Language of Work: English
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for the development, management, coordination, production and execution required to install temporary exhibitions, installations, exhibits from the permanent collection and special projects including public artworks
- Liaises with curators and artists to identify needs regarding display of exhibitions, maintenance of permanent collection
- Works with curators on the design and layout of exhibitions
- Schedules and supervises external labour for all installations, ensuring they are well-qualified to ensure safe handling of artwork at all times
- Identifies, sources and maintains materials, equipment and supplies for exhibitions including AV equipment, lighting and hardware
- Maintains and improves the workshop, storage, hardware, equipment etc.
- Designs and fabricates display furniture and hardware
- Responsible for installing didactic panels and labels
- Oversees packing, unpacking, lifting, and crating of artworks in the context of exhibition installations and de-installations and loans of the permanent collection
- May be required to coordinate national and international transportation of artworks and related customs arrangements
Requirements & Skills
As Lead Installation Technician, the candidate must have:
- 2-5 years of experience leading and managing crews
- superior people management skills and knowledge of workplace safety in order to manage and supervise contract staff in a fast-paced job site around fragile/valuable objects as demonstrated through
- excellent project management skills developing and adhering to timelines to manage all steps of the installation process
- training and certification in the safe operation of tools such as skyjack, hoists, power tools, and hazardous machinery; as well as being trained and able to work on ladders at heights and to lift objects in excess of 50 lbs on a regular basis
- Bachelor of Arts or Fine Arts, or equivalent experience in galleries/museums
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
The candidate must:
- be knowledgeable about museum standards;
- have demonstrated experience in correctly handling, installing, crating, moving art
- have demonstrated experience in painting, finishing, and surfacing.
- have technical knowledge and experience of fabrication and construction
- have the ability to design and maintain lighting
- be familiar with audio visual installations
- be able to field quotes and manage material and labour costs
- be adept at spatial thinking and conceptualization
How to Apply: We invite applicants to submit a cover letter and résumé as a single PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: February 13, 2023 at 11:59 PM (EST)
Oakville Galleries is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from those from equity-deserving communities. Please state in your application email any accommodations you may require; we welcome the opportunity to discuss any accommodations that candidates may require during the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest and appreciate their understanding that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oakville Galleries operates with support from the Canada Council for the Arts, the Ontario Arts Council, the Ontario Trillium Foundation and the Corporation of the Town of Oakville.
Winter Operating Hours
Tuesday – Saturday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Sundays and statutory holidays
Monday (available by appointment)
Admission is always free, donations welcome.
905.844.4402 | email@example.com | oakvillegalleries.com | @oakvillegalleries