Interim Director, Artspace Peterborough
ARTSPACE Artist Run Center is inviting applications for the position of Interim Director.
Artspace values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people of colour, LGBT individuals, foreign-born residents to apply. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Artspace is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against for any reason, including race, colour, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, mental health or medical condition. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and the needs of the organization.
Artspace is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs:
ARTSPACE is Peterborough’s artist-run centre, a non-profit organization committed to the presentation of contemporary art and the support of artists. We change in response to the needs of artists and work to engage and develop audiences. Our programming is both national in scope and regional in spirit. As a part of our mandate to connect artists to the community and welcome a broad range of involvement, ARTSPACE has a long history of employing vibrant and talented individuals from across the country. We offer the stability of strong infrastructure, alongside a dedication to experimentation allowing for creative development and new directions. The centre is a respected training ground and launching pad for a new generation of cultural workers.
Position: Interim Director, $55000 Full time, 35 hours/week, 1 year contract
Address: 3-378 Aylmer St. N. Peterborough Ontario K9J 3V9
BFA, MFA or MA degree in the Arts, and/or Arts Administration, or a BA with at least two years related work experience.
The ideal candidate will have garnered a wide range of experience in arts administration, curating, fundraising, building strong professional relationships, financial management, marketing and outreach, grant writing and teambuilding.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Interim Director will:
- Work alongside part time staff and the Board of Directors to fulfill the mandate of the organization.
- Develop and guide short and long term operational planning and vision of the organization in collaboration with the Board of Directors
- Research, write and compile all operating, special project and employment grant applications
- Develop and execute all fundraising activities of the organization including sponsorship, donation, events and drives
- Seek out new funding sources and develop initiatives to actively increase the centres operating and programming budgets
- Oversee the annual call for submissions and selections, coordinate exhibitions and special programs and/or collaborate with guest curators
- Lead all gallery preparations and installations in accordance with internal guidelines and government regulations
- Develop and distribute all publicity and marketing materials and strategies
- Manage general operations of the organization including membership, building maintenance and communications
- Recruit, hire, train, and oversee staff along with the HR committee
- Attend regular Board meetings and report on all the programming, financial, fundraising and operational activities of the centre
- Be flexible and available on some evenings and weekends for openings, meetings and other events
- A strong knowledge of current trends in Canadian contemporary art
- The ability to implement curatorial standards for the exhibition of works and a working knowledge of archival and proper art handling procedures
- The ability to successfully develop and implement fundraising, marketing and communications strategies
- A background in the not-for-profit, culture related sector
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills, and proficiency with general office/design software
- Highly organized, self-directed, able to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to strategize short and long term goals and develop an innovative vision
- Proven track record of seeing projects through to successful completion
- A passion for inclusivity and understanding of regional arts challenges
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit by e-mail only to email@example.com a cover letter, current resume, writing sample and contacts for three professional references, using the subject heading: ATTN: ARTSPACE HIRING COMMITTEE _ Your Name. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: Open Until Filled
Name: Eryn Lidster
Board of Directors – President
Phone: (705) 748-3883