Instructor in Interactive Illustration, Seneca College
POSITION: Faculty Term Appointment in the Illustration Diploma: Interactive Illustration
Seneca is an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
WHERE: Seneca College – online delivery (r/t current health crisis)
START DATE: January 2021
To instruct one full course (3 hours each week over 14 weeks) in Interactive Illustration in the Illustration Diploma. Practice and expertise in creating interactive illustration art for a variety of outputs including animated gifs, motion graphics, interactive storytelling.
Established illustration practice with expertise in editorial illustration is essential as is experience in teaching, especially at a post-secondary level. An interest in the future directions of illustration would be beneficial.
- Completed academic credential in the discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Previous teaching experience essential, preferably at the post-secondary level
- Minimum of 5 years visual art practice
- Graphic design, typography and colour design skills to build web graphics, animations and interactive images.
- Application of animation principles and sound design.
- Software skills including Photoshop, Flash (Animate).
- Knowledge of AS3 (Action Script 3), Adobe Audition, After Effects, Illustrator is an asset.
- Excellent presentation, communication and human relations skills to interact effectively with the College’s diverse student and staff population.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Illustration Diploma within the School of Creative Arts and Animation at Seneca College is a four semester, two year diploma combines traditional illustrative media, digital media and business skills to give the independent artist the skills necessary to succeed in the rapidly changing world of illustration.
The Faculty of Communication, Arts and Design is located at the Seneca@York campus on York University. With campuses across the Greater Toronto Area, Seneca College offers degrees, diplomas and certificates renowned for their quality and respected by employers. Combining the highest academic standards with practical, hands-on learning, expert teaching faculty and the latest technology ensures Seneca graduates are career-ready. Seneca’s Faculty of Communication, Arts and Design is a recognized leader in education for a comprehensive range of fields including animation, graphic design, illustration, photography, music & performance, documentary filmmaking, media, fashion, and event production.
Seneca@York campus is an accessible space.
Submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and the names of two qualified referees via email to:
JoAnn Purcell PhD, AOCA
Professor & Program Coordinator of Illustration
School of Creative Arts and Animation
70 The Pond Road
Toronto, Ontario M3J 3M6
Posting Date: December 2, 2020.
Closing Date: Until position is filled
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.