Exhibition Coordinator, Blackwood Gallery
Application Deadline: July 25, 2022, 11:59PM EDT
Term: Full-time, permanent
The Blackwood is a contemporary art centre at the University of Toronto Mississauga dedicated to open, public research. The Blackwood is committed to thinking about the gallery as a space for living ideas—for holding together research, creation, inquiry, interaction, and conversation. We present curated exhibitions featuring the work of local, national, and international professional artists in on-campus gallery spaces and off-site projects throughout the GTHA; support artistic research, commissions, and residencies; and foster transdisciplinary strategies for knowledge production and circulation via a robust publishing program. We cultivate cultures of learning, provide mentorship, and facilitate professional development.
The Blackwood Gallery is currently hiring an Exhibition Coordinator (full-time, permanent).
Under general direction of the Director/Curator and general supervision of the Assistant Curator, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating the exhibition program, digital platforms, work-study program, and facilities of the Blackwood Gallery.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Acting as the first point of contact for general enquiries.
- Analyzing and recommending strategies to develop targeted marketing campaigns.
- Maintaining information on digital platforms, collating and organizing data for various reports and editing content for grant applications.
- Coordinating the installation and de-installation of exhibits and artwork.
- Coordinating the schedule for program and event calendars.
- Coordinating the recruitment process and training of work-study staff.
- Developing and maintaining procedures for the administration of art collections.
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming.
- Master’s Degree in visual arts or acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years previous art gallery experience and knowledge of contemporary art.
- Experience in all areas of exhibition making in a non-profit gallery or museum context including scheduling, shipping, condition reporting, design, and determining necessary equipment, fabrication, and material needs.
- Experience with all technical aspects of exhibition production including but not limited to installation, audio and video, performance-based and live actions, and new media.
- Experience in coordinating efforts of casual installation techniques and training students.
- Experience providing administrative support including coordinating logistics of events, scheduling meetings, maintaining information on digital platforms, databases, arranging meetings, and minute taking.
- Experience compiling and archiving documentation, press, publicity and pertinent information on exhibitions and gallery programs.
- Advanced knowledge of technical and aesthetic dimension of exhibition making.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, analyze, prioritize and make decisions through all aspects of project implementation from fabrication to installation.
- Excellent knowledge of physical handling of works of art in a diversity of media.
- Excellent communications (oral and written) skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills with the ability to multitask and meet strict deadlines.
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Photoshop, In-Design, Sketch-Up, database programs, desktop publishing).
- Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, empathy, sound judgment and discretion.
- Ability to navigate intellectually challenging materials (interdisciplinary research, educational texts, concepts).
- Experience coordinating community outreach programs.
- Capable of leading gallery tours and making presentations for diverse publics.
- Supervisory experience would be an asset.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Goal oriented
- Possess a positive attitude
- Team player
For full job posting and to apply online, visit the University of Toronto Careers Portal.
Application deadline: July 25, 2022, 11:59PM EDT
The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Only online applications via the link above will be accepted. Please do not contact the gallery directly to apply.
University of Toronto Mississauga
3359 Mississauga Rd.
Mississauga, ON L5L 1C6
Image description: Frontal view of large-scale photographic prints of clouds in a radio transmission field; handlers lift three of the four prints in the image and move them throughout the field.