Executive Director, Pleasure Dome
Application Deadline: August 15, 2022
Start Date: September 12, 2022
Salary: $43,000/year (firm) plus health benefits
Term: 4 days per week (32 hours), permanent
Pleasure Dome (PD) is an artist-run presentation organization and publisher dedicated to experimental media. Our organization is committed to presenting artists who expand, fracture, and scrutinize the traditional cinematic spectacle, including those who use moving image technologies that are digital, interactive, or performative.
PD is seeking a self-initiated, ambitious, and passionate leader to contribute to PD’s future. Reporting directly to the consensus-based artist-run Board of Directors, the ideal candidate will be a single staff person dedicated to fostering the best of experimental media. The ED will be responsible for all operational and development leadership, including grant writing, reporting, finances, communications, community outreach, stakeholder collaboration, strategic facilitation, event coordination, website, and artist/volunteer management. The ED will cultivate an increased capacity in Pleasure Dome, thereby improving our impact.
Pleasure Dome is mandated to:
- foster an appreciation for art expressed in the media of moving images of all formats.
- engage, educate, and generate excitement for underrepresented cinema from local, Canadian, and international artists, for people interested in the arts, and the general public.
- present a variety of different genres, styles, and approaches from historical to contemporary strategies of cinematic spectacle, disruption, and other attempts to re-imagine the experimental media tradition.
- screen innovative works in engaging and “expanded” presentations, including installation and other unconventional exhibition formats.
- Our screenings are hosted year-round, online and in a variety of venues. We almost exclusively program short-length works and prioritize the presentation of works by women, BIPOC folks, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons.
Executive Director Responsibilities:
- Achieve Pleasure Dome’s objectives, fulfill our mandate, and maximize sustainability.
- Develop a strategic plan informed by the Board of Directors and our membership.
- Develop content for programs, events, and commissions collaboratively with paid curators, artists, and Board Directors.
- Act as a producer to meet technical and logistical requirements for IRL events including: equipment rentals and transportation, permits and permissions, shipping and print traffic, risk management, contract negotiation, and ensure all site requirements are confirmed.
- Support existing partnerships, identify stakeholders, and develop new opportunities and relationships.
- Develop and implement inclusive policies and decolonial procedures across all aspects of the organization.
- Attend all Board meetings and present monthly reports.
- Develop ongoing fundraising strategies to meet targets and execute corporate sponsorship asks.
- Manage all aspects of grant applications, including writing, designing, reporting, and evaluating programming and strategies.
- Independently budget, journal, distribute, reconcile, and report on an annual budget of $80k.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with CRA.
- Develop, design, and implement community outreach strategies including measured social media engagement, public relations, website, and marketing materials.
- A compelling and undeniable passion for experimental media.
- Completion of post-secondary education in a related discipline or relevant experience.
- Experience working or volunteering in the non-profit sector.
- Strong knowledge of fiscal management; Quickbooks proficiency is required.
- High level of integrity, transparency, and accountability with a collaborative conflict and leadership style.
- Exceptional communicator with demonstratable skills in persuasive long-form essay or grant writing.
- Proficient Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress skills are required; plus, the general ability to use computers and applications like Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- Events, exhibition/installation, publications, and/or project management experience with individual budgets of over $5k
- Experience managing social media communities and generating marketing copy.
- Familiarity with CADAC as an asset.
- Familiarity with the media arts community in Tkaronto.
- Ability and willingness to work outside of typical office hours (evenings and weekends are required)
Pleasure Dome encourages all interested candidates thinking about applying to submit an application! We are committed to fostering a positive environment that promotes equity and diversity and invites those that identify as belonging to communities marginalized by broader society to self-identify in their cover letter.
Please note that candidates must reside in the Greater Tkaranto Area (GTA) and be able to reliably commute to our office location at Dufferin/Dupont with flexibility ability to work from home.
Pleasure Dome welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF document by August 15, 2022, to HRpleasuredometo@gmail.com. Please reference “ED Application” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or visits, please.
For further information on Pleasure Dome, please refer to our website: pdome.org