Executive Director, Media Arts Network of Ontario
Call for Applications:
Executive Director, Media Arts Network of Ontario
Part-time 28 hours (3.5 days) per week
Compensation: $46,000 per year ($31.60 per hour)
Three weeks vacation per year plus two weeks annual December closure
Extended health benefits provided
Place of work is remote from anywhere in Ontario
Start date January 3, 2022
Applications due: December 3, 2021
The Media Arts Network of Ontario is seeking applications for the position of Executive Director to lead the organization. Founded in 2009 MANO has evolved into a unique arts-service organization providing mentorship, advocacy, and transformative leadership within the media arts and artist-run communities across Ontario. Working with approximately 70 member groups in all regions of Ontario MANO prioritizes outreach and responsive support for a broad range of organizational models, which informs its policy analysis and advocacy.
MANO is focused on developing responsive, innovative, and proactive initiatives that create meaningful opportunities for media artists and organizations. MANO is informed by the belief that community engagement with independent artistic practices improves quality of life by promoting cultural understanding and respect at all levels of society.
The position of Executive Director is part time with the possibility to expand hours as resources allow. As the leader of a small organization with limited resources the Executive Director will develop creative solutions to sector wide challenges and lead consensus building in the community.
- Leading policy analysis, advocacy, and lobbying efforts to advance the media arts and artist-run sectors in Ontario;
- Providing mentorship and support to cultural workers and develop programs to support organizations, collectives, and artists across Ontario;
- Grant management for core and project funding including, writing, tracking and reporting, managing budgets and cash flow, developing strategic projects to support community needs;
- Leading financial management of MANO and all associated projects;
- Managing staff and contractors in a collaborative environment;
- Working with members and the broader community to address challenges faced by the sector;
- Leading outreach and partnerships to expand the network and build the sector, including travel to constituencies across the province as needed;
- Continuing to spark new discourse, dialogue and collaboration among the network of Ontario media arts professionals; seek new opportunities for funding, programming and outreach; create new models for arts service delivery.
The successful candidate will have some or all of the following qualifications, please outline your experience (as applicable) in the cover letter of your application:
- Extensive knowledge and experience of media art practices including film, video, sound art, digital media, video games, or related art forms;
- Minimum three years experience in a leadership position in the media arts or artist-run sector, including collectives, non-profits, and other organizing models;
- Strong grant writing and project development experience, with knowledge and record of success accessing public sector arts granting programs;
- Interest and experience in advocacy, policy development, and government relations;
- Experience in outreach and community organizing, and ability to work with and represent a diverse constituency across all regions of Ontario;
- Experience providing mentorship and training, experience designing mentorship and training programs an asset;
- Strong understanding of anti-oppression and equity frameworks;
- Strong facilitation experience, both online and in person;
- Financial management experience in a non-profit or related context;
- Ability to self-direct and set ongoing goals and objectives;
- Capable of collaboratively managing a team of staff and contractors;
- Experience with conflict resolution and mediation;
- Strong communication skills;
- Multilingualism is an asset, English is the primary language of MANO’s work;
The Media Arts Network of Ontario (MANO) is Ontario’s arts service organization dedicated to furthering the work of media arts centred organizations, collectives, and the independent artists they represent. MANO is focused on developing responsive, innovative, and proactive initiatives that create meaningful opportunities for media artists and organizations.
MANO is an equal opportunity employer that encourages applications from members of equity seeking communities.
To apply please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae as a single pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 3, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
MANO and its work are made possible by the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, and the Ontario Arts Council.