Executive Director, Canadian Crafts Federation
The Canadian Crafts Federation invites applications for the position of Executive Director
The Canadian Crafts Federation / Fédération Canadienne des métiers d’art (CCF/FCMA) is the foremost national organization representing the craft sector in Canada. As a federation of organizations, we work with the provincial and territorial craft councils and affiliate organizations to unite, enrich, empower and celebrate the professional contemporary craft sector through collaborative action, networking, and community development. Since its beginnings in 1974, the CCF/FCMA has worked strategically to advance the recognition of Canadian craft at home and abroad; developed programming and resources to aid craft organizations and those working in the field; advanced craft-based projects that have regional, national, and international impact; and advocated to strengthen the craft sector from a national perspective.
The Executive Director of the CCF/FCMA plans, directs, and administers all aspects of CCF/FCMA operations. As the leader and public face of the organization, the Executive Director reports to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, and enacts the CCF/FCMA mission statement and strategic plan. The Executive Director advances the CCF/FCMA’s role as an inclusive and equitable organization that fully reflects the diversity of the greater craft community.
- Work with the Board to develop, maintain and implement the strategic direction of the CCF/FCMA
- Report to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, and ensure the directives of the Board are enacted in a timely and effective manner
- Develop operational directives based on the strategic plan, including key performance indicators
- Foster effective communication and teamwork among the Board, Board Committees, Executive Committee, Executive Director and staff
- Interact with provincial and territorial craft councils and affiliate members, ensuring their needs are represented in CCF/FCMA planning and programming
- Engage in research and development of craft sector initiatives alongside provincial, territorial and affiliate counterparts
- Build and maintain relationships with leaders and decision-makers in the art and cultural sector, government, and business community to advance the strategic aims of the CCF/FCMA
- Provide national craft representation as needed, aligned with advocacy doctrines
- Develop and oversee the annual operating budget, alongside the Board, including planning, preparing, monitoring and administering
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding, and develop new funding, for the operation of the CCF/FCMA, including researching funding sources and writing funding proposals
- Identify, and act upon, fundraising, funding, grant and philanthropic opportunities, including enacting related programming and reporting in response
- Manage CCF/FCMA staff, and establish a positive and safe work environment in which staff are empowered to think, plan, and work in a collaborative manner
- Establish annual objectives, in collaboration with individual CCF/FCMA staff members; seek and provide regular feedback and ensure performance appraisals are completed in a productive and timely way
- Observe and assess regional, national and international cultural programs and trends to ensure that the CCF/FCMA is advancing best practices and is positioned within the global cultural community
- Digital literacy and excellent technology skills
- Strong leadership skills and political acumen
- Strong administrative, organizational, and financial management skills
- Experience reporting to, and working with, a Board of Directors, ideally in the non-profit sector
- Strong interpersonal communication skills working with teams of collaborators
- Experience working in a supervisory role, including hiring and managing staff
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities
- Aptitude to develop new markets and organizational directions
- Creative vision and drive to capitalize through networks and resources, for new and innovative funding, projects, and relationships
- Ability to lead with influence, humility and inspiration to achieve the CCF/FCMA goals
- Ability to translate ideas into action, channeling passion and ingenuity into results
- Capable, confident manager with high professional standards as well as personal integrity
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access
- Active participant in, and understanding of, arts, culture, educational associations and professional networks
- University degree with minimum 5 years’ experience in a leadership role in the non-profit sector; a graduate degree in a relevant field will be considered an asset
- Bilingual in both official languages
The salary offered starts at $55,000 per year, negotiable depending on qualifications. Note that the CCF/FCMA board supports budget growth through revenue development, which could increase available staff compensation.
- Medical and Dental coverage, Life Insurance and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Professional Development fund
- Flexible work scheduling: work/life balance is valued
- Flexible work environment: work from anywhere in Canada with a strong internet connection
- Work-related travel compensation
- Generous vacation
The CCF/FCMA is committed to an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace. We uphold principles of employment equity so that individuals have access to opportunities free from barriers based on cultural and racial backgrounds, beliefs, disabilities, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital and family status, socio-economic status, age or geography. We recognize that we live in one of the most culturally diverse nations in the world, and as a national arts service organization are committed to reflecting that diversity through our organization, and our membership. We also acknowledge the historic inequities in our systems, and look to further partner with our community and peer institutions to move beyond, and remove, barriers that exist.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than 11:59 pm EDT on Monday August 15th, 2022. Interviews will be scheduled soon after.
We thank everyone for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. References will be requested at the time of the interview. Interviews will be held via Zoom.