Call for Submissions: North Central BRT Shelter Artwork 2023, City of Calgary
North Central BRT Shelter Artwork 2023
Deadline: November 10, 2023, 4:30pm MT
Calgary Arts Development is partnering with The City of Calgary’s Bus Rapid Transit program to add artworks to new bus rapid transit shelters. We welcome artists who live, work or have a connection to north central Calgary, specifically along the transit line from Centre Street through Harvest Hills Boulevard North to submit digital images of existing, original 2D artwork that demonstrates how being a part of a community impacts your everyday life through shared values, trust and care.
Selected artworks will be enlarged and printed onto the glass of 16 bus shelters for the North Central Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project. Up to 32 images may be selected from this call.
This opportunity is open to anyone who self-identifies as an artist. Artists working in any two-dimensional medium are encouraged to apply (e.g., painting, drawing, printmaking, graphic design, illustration, fibre, photography, digital art, etc.).
Artists will be paid $1,750 per selected image; this amount is above current CARFAC rates for the permanent reproduction of artworks.
Designs will be installed in 2024.
Artists interested in submitting artwork are asked to respond to three questions:
- What is your connection to one or more of the communities along the North Central Calgary BRT line?
- How does your artwork reflect what it means to be part of a community?
- Describe your art practice and how it connects to the project goals.
Artists may submit up to 10 JPEG images of their original artwork for consideration:
- Images may be presented individually or in pairs. Each bus shelter will have two images (not necessarily from the same artist).
- Images must be submitted as an individual file and placed on the shelter template provided.
- Images may be suggested for specific locations, and artists should indicate if their images could be considered for all locations.
- If selected, artists must be prepared to provide a high-resolution digital image of their submission.
Artists are advised that:
- Artwork will be enlarged to a maximum width of 182.9 cm, or 72 inches.
- Due to the limitations of printing on glass, the reproduction will not be an exact representation of the original artwork.
- All submissions must be cleared for copyright reproduction.
If you have any questions or need help completing an application, please contact Jacilyn Blackwood, Project Lead, at email@example.com.