Call for Submissions: Local Art for New Residential Community, Thornhill
Deadline Extended – Call for Submissions
Local Art for New Residential Community (Thornhill)
Daniels Baif Thornhill Inc., on behalf of The Daniels Corporation, invites artists from the Thornhill/Vaughan area to submit proposals in consideration for the residential areas at the Beverley at the Thornhill, The Thornhill, and Boulevard at the Thornhill condominium communities. The installation of the artwork will take place approximately in late 2023 to early 2024. The proposal process may involve consulting with Daniels Baif Thornhill Inc. on the design and fabrication of the work to arrive at a final concept, as well as the installation of the piece.
For Daniels Baif Thornhill Inc. each new home community is a work of art – literally. From conception through to completion, every neighborhood is designed to enhance its surroundings, the community and to make a statement about its unique character. Daniels has pioneered a new approach to décor and art focused on sourcing local art for each of our new buildings. Within each project Daniels looks to source a wide range of art forms from paintings to photography to sculptures and beyond. This addition of striking local art through community engagement has quickly become a cornerstone of the company’s design philosophy.
The Thornhill condominiums are located at Bathurst St. and Beverly Glen Boulevard, consisting of two sets of two towers – towers A, B, C and D. Tower A – “The Beverley”, Tower B – “The Thornhill”, Tower C & D – “Boulevard at The Thornhill”. Tower A & B are located at 7950 Bathurst St. Vaughan and Tower C & D are located at 8 Beverly Glen Blvd., Vaughan. This master-planned community features 15 storey, 25 storey, 12 storey and 6 storey condo towers. As well, indoor and outdoor amenities are shared between the towers, where residents will have access to a range of amenity spaces.
Opportunities for Local Art at Thornhill
In consultation with HOK Inc., a number of opportunities for social purchasing of local artwork have been identified for the common areas and amenity spaces within the residential towers to bring the space to life and tie everything together. Look and feel imagery showing the overall design intent for the spaces are included below. A breakdown of the pieces to be commissioned, medium, and location is included in the Response Cover Page. Artists are invited to submit artwork that is inspired by the overall look and feel/design principles and inspiration images provided.
For this opportunity, priority will be given to artists who self-identify as:
- Having a connection to the Thornhill/Vaughan area: current or former resident, or works within the specific community identified
- Emerging and mid-career artists
- Diverse and equity-deserving individuals including but not limited to members of visible minority groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ people
- Please submit as attachments by email only (no file transfer links to download please) to LocalArt@danielscorp.com to a maximum of 10 MB total.
- Response Cover Page – please read and complete the Response Cover page thoroughly. Completion of the Response Cover Page is mandatory to be considered for the project.
- Curriculum vitae, resume or biography of the artist – The CV must include your full contact information and any other supporting material you would like to include (web links, reviews, catalogues, etc.) (1-page maximum);
- An artist statement – indicating any connection to the Thornhill/Vaughan community or rationale for interest in working in this community (1 page maximum);
- 1-2 images, sketches or examples of artwork you have created or proposed piece(s) – for consideration or commission. For each image please include the following information: title, medium, dimensions, year of completion in the Response Cover Page
- Submission must include proposed Fee(s) for each piece, which should be an all-inclusive fee that includes the following:
◦ Frames (if required for the piece); installation hardware not required
◦ Delivery to site for installation and if required, temporary storage of piece/s if applicable until ready for installation. Artist to coordinate with Daniels for delivery (Daniels will install the artwork)
◦ If submitting for large scale opportunities requiring the Artist to install onsite, the selected Artist will be required to obtain and provide proof of insurance, and include this in their proposed Fee. Additionally, the Artist will be required to sign off on Daniels’ Artist Agreement and site Health & Safety policies (to be provided by Daniels) in advance of beginning their work on site. Alternatively, Daniels can arrange for installation so that the Artist does not have to come to site.
◦ Proposed Fee to include granting Daniels the permission to reproduce the artwork in printed form or on the Internet/social media, now known or later developed including but not limited to social media, the Daniels and/or project website (internal and external), display renderings or other communications such as eblasts, with no additional royalties due.
Only one submission per artist or artist group will be accepted.
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m. on, December 6, 2022.
For any other questions, please contact LocalArt@danielscorp.com.